What CD/SACD Players should I be looking at for under $500 USD?
Jan 23, 2012 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DaggothReborn

Head-Fier
I'm about to get into CD/SACDs. I've previously done all my listening off my Desktop PC>X-FI Titanium HD>Schiit Valhalla>DT880 600Ohm.

I was looking at the Azur 650C by Cambridge Audio. I'm not really partial to any brand. I would just need a dedicated CD player. So what brands should I be looking for? I read though a lot of the posts I found, but they were relatively old.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 12
At the <$500 level, I think you'll probably get better performance out of a good CD player than a mediocre CD/SACD player. Check out the Harman Kardon HD 990, $399 at some stores.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Would you consider buying used? And are you looking for multichannel or will two channel suffice?

I would much rather have a new one. Two channel would be fine. I will only be listing with my headphones.

Quote:
At the <$500 level, I think you'll probably get better performance out of a good CD player than a mediocre CD/SACD player. Check out the Harman Kardon HD 990, $399 at some stores.

Ah, I had just assumed that most high end CD players had SACD capabilities. But in that case, yes, I would prefer a GOOD CD player over a decent CD/SACD

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 12
I use to have the Harmon Kardon DVD-48 for a while.  A real bargain for the $89 I paid and it performed well for all my CD/SACD tracks.  This leaves you with enough Benjamins for a nice DAC and cable if that suits your fancy.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #8 of 12
Recently, I gor CA Azure 650 and I love it. Simple, clean and heavy duty. You have to pair it with CA Azure Amp to get the best results.

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:

I use the Harman Kardon HD970 (previous model) and it is an excellent CD player (very good DAC as well).  If you can pick one up for $399 then I would say you have a bargain priced super performing CD (no SACD function though).  This is a $1,000 CDP in Australia.

http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/Product-Reviews/Hi-Fi/harmankardon-hd990-cd-player.html
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/cd-players-and-recorders/harman-kardon-hd990-cd-player-594768/review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back