What CD Players can play MP3 and output digital?
Apr 24, 2007 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cotdt

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a transportable CD Player that can also play MP3s (either burned onto the CD or from a memory stick), and output the digital signal to my DAC. I'm hoping to just buy it commercially for a decent price. If not, I'll have to get a laptop, which is expensive. Or modify a car headunit, which is a pain.

So what are my options? I am only going to be using this for meets, so others can listen to my DACs and several amps. Mostly I have custom equipment that I'd like to share with others and A/B test.

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a transportable CD Player that can also play MP3s (either burned onto the CD or from a memory stick), and output the digital signal to my DAC. I'm hoping to just buy it commercially for a decent price. If not, I'll have to get a laptop, which is expensive. Or modify a car headunit, which is a pain.

So what are my options? I am only going to be using this for meets, so others can listen to my DACs and several amps. Mostly I have custom equipment that I'd like to share with others and A/B test.

Quote:

Oh, and it has to be somewhat transportable. Otherwise, I might as well bring my 70-pound desktop computer.

Pretty much any modern slimline DVD player will play MP3 on CD and redbook CD with a digital out - mine has coax and optical out and weighs next to nothing, I occaisionally plug it into my Entech for MP3 playback when I want to listen for long periods without changing discs.

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much any modern slimline DVD player will play MP3 on CD and redbook CD with a digital out - mine has coax and optical out and weighs next to nothing, I occaisionally plug it into my Entech for MP3 playback when I want to listen for long periods without changing discs.

does the digital out with with MP3? can they play 24-bit dvd audio?

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

does the digital out with with MP3? can they play 24-bit dvd audio?

Mine will not play DVD-A but does play a digital out signal for MP3 - I do not know about High-res digital out in general - I thought that SACD at least only allowed analog out but I may be wrong and I do not know about DVD-A. DVD-A is PCM so should be okay but since DVD-A can be multichannel I do not know how a standard DAC would deal with that
confused.gif

My guess is that the more modern multiformat players would allow you a 24/96 2 channel digital out option for DVD-A but you would have t look at that on a cse by case basis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back