What causes this (amp related)?
Jul 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #121 of 180
For those of us without the ability to baffle with science, AKG say it not a good idea and Shiit have offered a refund. Simples
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 19, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #122 of 180
For those of us without the ability to baffle with science, AKG say it not a good idea and Shiit have offered a refund. Simples
bigsmile_face.gif

If I owned an Asgard and K701s, this still wouldn't bother me. In all my DIY work, I've let much worse than .25 seconds of low DC into headphones much crappier for testing without problem. I doubt that the AKG driver is designed to not withstand full excursion.

That said, I would approve of a relay muting circuit. I just hope that the additional cost of the relay muting circuit won't hurt the value of this amp to the consumer or the company.

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #124 of 180

Quote:
Why was nwavguy banned exactly?  I don't see where his posts have broken any rules?

It wasn't his posts.  Yesterday, he sent a hostile, unsolicited private message to one of our moderators that was forwarded to me.  Among other things, in that message he brought up his attorney, and I have no patience for those who resort to what several moderators (myself included) interpreted as a legal threat (however veiled) as a bullying tactic.

For that, it's at least a tentative ban for him.  And that's as much as I'll say about it, because we generally do not discuss bans publicly.

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #125 of 180
Btw, what about the Lyr? Does it also have this problem?

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #126 of 180
Grokit (I think it was him) and MacedonianHero lost their ED8s to one.  Both drivers blown.

Mad Lust Envy had one driver on his D7000 fail shortly after getting his Lyr.

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #127 of 180

Quote:
Btw, what about the Lyr? Does it also have this problem?

Potentially, yes, that's why it is recommended that you unplug your headphones before you power it on or off.  If you follow that simple procedure, you'll never have a problem.

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #128 of 180
Quote:
Potentially, yes, that's why it is recommended that you unplug your headphones before you power it on or off.  If you follow that simple procedure, you'll never have a problem.

Unless the power goes out or a circuit gets tripped...

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #129 of 180

Quote:
Unless the power goes out or a circuit gets tripped...

Yep, if you live in an area where the power is unreliable, you might want to consider a small UPS.

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #130 of 180
Quote:
Grokit (I think it was him) and MacedonianHero lost their ED8s to one.  Both drivers blown.

Mad Lust Envy had one driver on his D7000 fail shortly after getting his Lyr.

Holy crap, that sucks.

I always thought it was a bad idea to unplug headphones before turning the amp off, as a TRS plug shorts the output's of an amp for a split second.

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #131 of 180

Quote:
Yep, if you live in an area where the power is unreliable, you might want to consider a small UPS.

I find that a bit unreasonable honestly, but I guess it's up for individuals to decide themselves as long as they're made fully aware of the potential issues prior (and after it seems) to purchase.

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #132 of 180
Quote:

The power goes out everywhere sooner or later.

If you're going to ship a product like that it should at least come with some sort of warning in the manual.  Is there anything like that?  I remember the Asgard manual being linked to a while ago on here but I can't find any manuals on Schiit's site.

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #133 of 180

Quote:
The power goes out everywhere sooner or later.

If you're going to ship a product like that it should at least come with some sort of warning in the manual.  Is there anything like that?  I remember the Asgard manual being linked to a while ago on here but I can't find any manuals on Schiit's site.

There wasn't, but I imagine there will be one added shorty (I think Jason said that was one of the things they were considering).

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #134 of 180
Quote:
I always thought it was a bad idea to unplug headphones before turning the amp off, as a TRS plug shorts the output's of an amp for a split second.

That's the thing its a catch 22 with these powerful amps.  You probably don't know how they're designed and have to rely on the manufacturer to tell you.  If you're not technical and they don't then how are you supposed to know?  After all that you have to keep it straight between amps.

You have turn off you B22 before unpluging your headphones so you don't fry the output transistors but you have to unplug them before turning off your Lry so the "thump" doesn't blow your headphone's drivers.

Its madness because there are no standards.

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #135 of 180
Quote:
I find that a bit unreasonable honestly, but I guess it's up for individuals to decide themselves as long as they're made fully aware of the potential issues prior (and after it seems) to purchase.

I think its pretty crazy too.  If they're upfront about it all with some proper warnings and disclaimers then I don't mind too much.  It still contributes to the madness though.

Quote:
There wasn't, but I imagine there will be one added shorty (I think Jason said that was one of the things they were considering).

I hope they add it.  An email to everyone who's already bought one would be nice too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back