What Can I pair the HD800 with..
Dec 13, 2015 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

OG10

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Guys, 

I have purchased the Sennheiser HD800 on the ebay deal thats going on at the moment. 

At present I have a Firestone Audio DAC and Headphone amplifier, and they have both served me well with the HD600s
I get the feeling from reading reviews this might not be the case with the HD800.

Are there any DAC Headphone combinations for around £700? 
Worst case scenario is I use my DAC with a mid range amplifier, and get a better DAC later down the line.

Thank you :)

Dec 13, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 4
I would first listen to your combo before making the financial commitment to another setup. It could be that your setup sounds great with the HD800.

The HD800 can sound muddy and uncontrolled with amps that have high output impedances and amps like the Bakoon HPA-21 that is a current source amp.

It would be awesome to read a brief review of your setup before we make suggestions. Be sure to list likes and dislikes so we can see if there are pairings that meet your needs.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for replying back. 
The Valhalla 2 looks gorgeous. 

My HD800 should arrive early next week and I'll audition it with my current set up first. 
Hopefully by that time Valhalla will come into stock. 

I think I will save some cash and go for the Naim V-DAC 1 for a final flourish, because I love the sound that Naim produces. 
I have a nice SACD player for the interim till that arrives in my rig. 

Will post a review of the set up as is when I get it delivered next week :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back