What can I get for $50-60?
Mar 3, 2009 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Loser777

Head-Fier
Hi, first post here
bigsmile_face.gif

Being exposed only to hideous stock earbuds and $1 PC speakers, I've decided I should invest in some respectable headphones. I recently (right now) am trying out a borrowed HD202... while I must say I notice a definite improvement in bass and harshness of sound as well as (noise canceling obviously), I don't feel any mind-blowing improvement, probably because I've become desensitized by junk. I know that the HD202 is far from the epitome of cans and is pretty darn cheap, but I thought they would give me a sense of the full size headphone universe.
Right now, I have around $50-60 worth (can be increased slightly if necessary) to spend on some headphones, and I'm wondering what model would be best and if getting any would be even worth it.
My music tastes are pretty varied though I guess most of my music is electronic, ranging from Chiptunes to newly discovered Exit Trance. Right now, I've heard a lot about the SR-60 and HD280 as possible choices.
Any recommendations for a noob? I've numerous guides and FAQs, including this one, and googling the jargon of model numbers hasn't made it any more clear.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 6
In your price range the JVC HARX700 or 900 should do. I have the HARX900 model and find them to be a great set of phones for the money, about $60 from Buy.com.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loser777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, first post here
bigsmile_face.gif

Being exposed only to hideous stock earbuds and $1 PC speakers, I've decided I should invest in some respectable headphones. I recently (right now) am trying out a borrowed HD202... while I must say I notice a definite improvement in bass and harshness of sound as well as (noise canceling obviously), I don't feel any mind-blowing improvement, probably because I've become desensitized by junk. I know that the HD202 is far from the epitome of cans and is pretty darn cheap, but I thought they would give me a sense of the full size headphone universe.
Right now, I have around $50-60 worth (can be increased slightly if necessary) to spend on some headphones, and I'm wondering what model would be best and if getting any would be even worth it.
My music tastes are pretty varied though I guess most of my music is electronic, ranging from Chiptunes to newly discovered Exit Trance. Right now, I've heard a lot about the SR-60 and HD280 as possible choices.
Any recommendations for a noob? I've numerous guides and FAQs, including this one, and googling the jargon of model numbers hasn't made it any more clear.

I'd say go for a pair of SR-80s. They are on sale right now for $77 shipped.

Also, not to get all crazy but, if you ask this question in the "full-sized headphone" section of the forums, you'll have better luck there.

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 6
you have practical logic/reasoning behind your purchasing! that's good!

im assuming you are going to run these headphones out of your PC? in all honesty, i'd pick up a pair of ksc75s from amazon... maybe get an extension cord from radioshack/monoprice/etc if needed, and just enjoy them that way. can't cost you more than $20-$25.

if you dont like clip-ons, the koss portapro or sennheiser px100 work well too. they are priced at around $30-40.

if you want a full sized headphone, the suggestions above for the JVC headphones seem pretty popular as of late, so maybe those are good too.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 6
iGrados for $50 sound pretty good, or the sr60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back