What can I get for $50-60? (Moved)
Mar 3, 2009 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Loser777

Head-Fier
(Posted in wrong section before, please delete that thread)
Hi, first post here
Being exposed only to hideous stock earbuds and $1 PC speakers, I've decided I should invest in some respectable headphones. I recently (right now) am trying out a borrowed HD202... while I must say I notice a definite improvement in bass and harshness of sound as well as (noise canceling obviously), I don't feel any mind-blowing improvement, probably because I've become desensitized by junk. I know that the HD202 is far from the epitome of cans and is pretty darn cheap, but I thought they would give me a sense of the full size headphone universe.
Right now, I have around $50-60 worth (can be increased slightly if necessary) to spend on some headphones, and I'm wondering what model would be best and if getting any would be even worth it.
My music tastes are pretty varied though I guess most of my music is electronic, ranging from Chiptunes to newly discovered Exit Trance. Right now, I've heard a lot about the SR-60 and HD280 as possible choices.
Any recommendations for a noob? I've numerous guides and FAQs, including this one, and googling the jargon of model numbers hasn't made it any more clear.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 30
Electronic... hmmm...
Do you need bass or isolation?

If yes, Denon D1001.
If no, I'd probably say AD700's...

I'm pretty noobish too, take what I say with a grain of salt.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 30
I think only SR-60s or AD500s would be in my price range...
While both have reputably weak bass, would bit be as strong as something say- the HD202? Because the bass seems to be good enough for me.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electronic... hmmm...
Do you need bass or isolation?

If yes, Denon D1001.
If no, I'd probably say AD700's...

I'm pretty noobish too, take what I say with a grain of salt.

It's not a bad idea to take what anyone says with a grain of salt.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not a bad idea to take what anyone says with a grain of salt.

well, maybe they should take my advice with two then..

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 30
Senn PX100- $35
JVC HA-RX700- $35
JVC HA-RX900- $55
Sony MDR V-6 - $70

I'd only go for the HD280s if isolation is a must. They don't sound much better than PX100s.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 30
RX700 hands down. I like it better than the HD280, AD700, SR60, DT770 Pro/80 and RX900. And its only $30 from Buy.com. You can't go wrong. It isolated pretty well too. Not as well as HD280, but close.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loser777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I can't believe something $30 would be better than a $100 retail headphone...
Sounds too good to be true.

"Better" is subjective. I often prefer the $100 AD700 to the $250 K701. Someone else may prefer the $30 EP630 to the $100 AD700, etc. Listen for yourself.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #12 of 30
I have had HD202's and PX100's for 1 and 3 years respectively, and I just received a pair of HA-RX700 a couple of hours ago. I have lost track of how many times I've said this, but I'll say it again - the HD202 is garbage. If you like the HD202, then you'll absolutely love the PX100, assuming you have no problem with the lack of isolation. As far as my new RX700's go, assuming they tighten up a little and the mids balance out a bit after burn in, then I would highly recommend them, as well.
Either pair is better sounding and certainly more comfortable even right out of the box when compared to the HD202. If I were you, I'd also look into the Grado SR60, which can be had for 20% off at musicdirect, as Grado has revamped their line-up completely.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loser777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think only SR-60s or AD500s would be in my price range...
While both have reputably weak bass, would bit be as strong as something say- the HD202? Because the bass seems to be good enough for me.

The SR-60 and AD500 have more natural, tighter, and correct bass than some of the bassier competitors. Alot of people like power, and that is fine. But if you think about it, its not like the record producer has 2 12"s in the studio when he records an album. My Alessandro MS-1 has what some would call "mellow" bass. But when the recording calls for it, they can pump alright at higher volumes. I do wish for more a little more power, but its not like its that big of a deal because you can hear EVERYTHING along with the thump.

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 30
Well, right now, it looks like I'm sold on the HA RX700s... those are crazy cheap and comfortably within my budget... if those sound anywhere close to the HD280 or GR-80, then I'm sold.
I think I would prefer those over the PXC100 because I want good passive cancellation/less leakage, and I'm not sure I would get that with a super-aural design.

The one thing that makes a bit hesitant is that JVC isn't listed at headphone.com while all the other familiar brands are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back