what Camera to get?
Oct 3, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #17 of 22
I wouldn't buy a DSLR unless you plan to learn how to use one. I would recommend the Canon S95. Great IQ, and portable.
But if you want to get a DSLR, I would recommend buying all used:
Canon 20D ~250ish
18-55IS ~90
50mm 1.8 ~90
This is all in USD, I'm not sure how much it would cost in Australia though

This is, word for word, precisely what to do.

Hell, here's one for $220:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1100012

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #19 of 22
I've got the s90 (1st version of the camera) it's a pretty good little camera and it's almost always with me. The camera seems to be biased towards low light shooting. The aperture range in manual feels a bit limited. The size is amazing and was definitly the smallest "good" camera vs the competition.

Oct 6, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #20 of 22

Quote:
hey guys....I'm going overseas soon and need a new digital camera....don't know much about cameras so need some recommendations on what to get?....my budget is $500 was thinking about getting the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 but not sure

thanks guys

Nice. I have the dsc-wx10, which has this going for it.

- pocket size
- its right there for unexpected snap shot opportunities
- its auto features and size work well for activity based shooting opps (cycling, hiking etc)

Actually I wanted to get the tx10, but chose the wx10 because it was cheaper.

Oct 6, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #21 of 22
If you decide to buy a DSLR, it's a good idea to go to a store where you can hold it to see how it fits on your hand ergonomically. Even with the smaller cameras, you may want to physically see how they fit in your space especially for travel. Sometimes though, size does not really matter.

Oct 9, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #22 of 22

Quote:
If you decide to buy a DSLR, it's a good idea to go to a store where you can hold it to see how it fits on your hand ergonomically. Even with the smaller cameras, you may want to physically see how they fit in your space especially for travel. Sometimes though, size does not really matter.

This is good advice. When I was looking for my first dSLR I could find very little to choose between the Nikon D80 and the Canon of comparable price. I went to my local shop to see them in the flesh and after holding the Nikon it was a no-brainer. It was way more comfortable in my hand than the Canon equivalent. This is not to say that the Nikon is the better camera you understand, merely that it was the better camera for me. YMMV. Enjoy your trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back