What Cables Are You Using With Your Meridian G08???
Apr 13, 2005 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nightfall

Headphoneus Supremus
Mine will be here sometime next week. I'm wondering what interconnects you've discovered to be best with the G08. A number of people have noted that the Nordost cables have a great affinity for the G08, but lets face it, not many of us can afford the Valhalla's, or even the Valkyrja's. I know those are priced out of my league, even used both go for $1000.00 or more. And, having listened to the G08 with the Valhalla's and the G07 with another nearly as pricey cable, I dont think I could be happy dropping well down into the line where the more affordable ones exist.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. They will be used between my soon to be delivered Raptor and the G08, or, my Moth Si2a3H uberamp and the G08, depending on the best synergy in the end.

JC

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
Mine will be here sometime next week. I'm wondering what interconnects you've discovered to be best with the G08. A number of people have noted that the Nordost cables have a great affinity for the G08, but lets face it, not many of us can afford the Valhalla's, or even the Valkyrja's. I know those are priced out of my league, even used both go for $1000.00 or more.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. They will be used between my soon to be delivered Raptor and the G08, or, my Moth Si2a3H uberamp and the G08, depending on the best synergy.

JC

Try Spm reference. Buy used off audiogon, Airy, transparent and fast. It is a smidgen brighter than the Valkyrja and Valhalla's.

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 7
As you are aware of already in our previous chat nightfall, i have a g07 and I use the nordost blue heavens, goredwings is right on about what they bring to the table. Before, I was using the MIT term 2's and those sound real good as well, Ray uses MIT's pretty exclusively with his gear, including his G08, i know bhd812 uses the MIT's as well with his G08.

Mulveling uses the homegrown silver lace, that homegrown cable in general is supposed to be really good stuff, they've got quite a good reputation as a decently priced cable, especially if you buy their cable and DIY, homegrowns apparently have a good synergy with meridians in general, and the silver seems to complement the smooth G08 nicely.

I believe Gopher uses the Grover's, one day I'll check them out, I'm not sure what audio addict uses.

One thing i did think of was if a group of meridian owners, specifically G07/G08 owners, would be willing to participate in a cable-rolling conglomerate where a bunch of us can loan and borrow and exchange various cables with each other to roll in our rigs for a limited time, just so that we can try out different cables before buying them, I think it would save all of us a lot of money and it would be fun and informative to share our cable experiences with each other so we have a more informed knowledge base in our cable rolling for our meridians.

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
As you are aware of already in our previous chat nightfall, i have a g07 and I use the nordost blue heavens, goredwings is right on about what they bring to the table. Before, I was using the MIT term 2's and those sound real good as well, Ray uses MIT's pretty exclusively with his gear, including his G08, i know bhd812 uses the MIT's as well with his G08.

Mulveling uses the homegrown silver lace, that homegrown cable in general is supposed to be really good stuff, they've got quite a good reputation as a decently priced cable, especially if you buy their cable and DIY, homegrowns apparently have a good synergy with meridians in general, and the silver seems to complement the smooth G08 nicely.

I believe Gopher uses the Grover's, one day I'll check them out, I'm not sure what audio addict uses.

One thing i did think of was if a group of meridian owners, specifically G07/G08 owners, would be willing to participate in a cable-rolling conglomerate where a bunch of us can loan and borrow and exchange various cables with each other to roll in our rigs for a limited time, just so that we can try out different cables before buying them, I think it would save all of us a lot of money and it would be fun and informative to share our cable experiences with each other so we have a more informed knowledge base in our cable rolling for our meridians.

Even though I don't own the Meridian series of players I would be more than happy to lend you the Spm reference's to you and nightfall.

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Even though I don't own the Meridian series of players I would be more than happy to lend you the Spm reference's to you and nightfall.

Thanks, I would say just bring down some nordost when you come into town, im intrigued how the upper nordost compare with my blue heavens, especially the red dawns.

I've got MIT term 2's as well available for one's perusal, GRW you can check those out as well and see what the fuss is all about with Ray, Billy, and myself with the MIT's.

Apr 13, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #6 of 7
I tried the Grover Silver Reference II ($130/1M pair) and Rega Couple ($150/1M pair) to connect the RCA outputs of my G08 to the HR-2. At first, I enjoyed the Grover more as it is definitely more detailed and have better extension in both bass and treble. However, the treble is too much for me as it upsets the warm signature of my HR-2/HD650. So I am back with the Rega couple. The Rega has fuller and warmer sound but is somewhat rolled off in the highs compared to the Grover SR-II. The Grover SR-II is a steal at $130/1M pair, but I want a warmer cable. Any recommendations?

As for the XLR outputs of my Meridian, I have a Grover Ultimate Reference ($210/1M pair) XLRs. I have not tried them yet as my KGSS is not due 'till end of the month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back