What cable for K81DJ?
Mar 31, 2007 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mminutel

500+ Head-Fier
The starquad was too dark so I would like something that will either keep the original sound or make it a little brighter. Another problem I had with the starquad was that after the Y-split I used techflex but it didnt give me the professional look I wanted.

What cable have you liked to recable with?

What should I do from the Ysplit to the driver housing that will give me a professional look?

Apr 1, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 8
I would like it to look extremely professional like Skylab's recable job.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...K81recable.jpg

Is that heatshrink that he used on the wires from the Y-Split to the housing? That is what I am worried about as last time I tried to recable the techflex didnt seem to work.

Apr 1, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #5 of 8
I'll receive a pair of 81DJ's recabled with SPC this week... and since my friend has a "standard" 81DJ, I might be able to compare give some info...

Anyone has tried with this kind of cable ?

Apr 1, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #6 of 8
Eh. No mini starquad. It doesn't seem to live up to it's miniature name. I also do not like the f-12/15 jacks from canare. I have an 8" IC I made and they are just too big.

I think I am going to order >100ft of SPC wire off of ebay and do all of my jobs with that. i am still open to suggestions on how to make it look neater and more professional.

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 8
I used SPC for mine. A world of difference coming from starquad. The treble is so much more apparent and the bass tightens up even more.
I tried both neutrik and switchcraft L-plugs. Switchcraft is a lot easier to use. Neutrik has 7 tinny fiddly bits to juggle. Or just get the regular OEM neutrik plugs.
Black heatshrink looks pretty good at the Y split but if you make the split too long, the 2 sides will rub against each other and produce irritating microphonics. Clear shrink is better in that aspect. Or you could use nylon sleeve like what shoelaces are made of. They look really nice, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back