What Buckethead albums to get?
Nov 20, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Population Override is the only great album Buckethead has, and the only one I'll recommend people to buy. His other albums like Colma and Crime Slunk Scene is pretty much a collection of gems hidden within a sea of fillers. Decent but not really worth a purchase.

Try: Axiology, Electric Tears, Peppers Ghost and Decoding the Tombs of Bansheebot. Then tell me PO is the only great album he has.

Nov 20, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #17 of 29
I tend to like Buckethead's more recent albums more than his earlier stuff. The early albums seem to have more of the experimental things he does. All of the following are great:

Crime Slunk Scene
The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock
The Dragons of Eden
Pepper's Ghost
Inbred Mountain
Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot

I have these on a playlist in iTunes and I play it all day long at work a couple of days a week.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #18 of 29
Bump.

Buckethead has almost 30 solo albums out, not counting the many side projects and tracks he's contributed to soundtracks or contributions. Yet he hasn't put together any compilation. Maddening!

Aug 10, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnaround /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bump.

Buckethead has almost 30 solo albums out, not counting the many side projects and tracks he's contributed to soundtracks or contributions. Yet he hasn't put together any compilation. Maddening!

His new album Forensic Follies is sort of a compilation, really more of a reworking of a lot of his tracks.

Another rec post from me:

A Real Diamond in the Rough
Dragons of Eden
Tennesse 2004 (With Praxis)

Yeah, really likin those now.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #21 of 29
Another vote for "Population Override", though is not the tipical play I`ve seen on later stuff, and maybe is not what represent him

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for "Population Override", though is not the tipical play I`ve seen on later stuff, and maybe is not what represent him

Well it's typical of the Bucket/Travis collaborations. Try 'Axiology' next.

Dec 11, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #24 of 29
I find that I typically don't like his entire albums, but love a lot of his songs.

However, Electric Tears and Population Override are well rounded, really chill and two of my favorites.
Crime Slunk Scene has some definite winners, especially Soothsayer and King James.
Also really like Pepper's Ghost. Some people don't like it though

Most disappointing purchase: Funnel Weaver

I'm working on building a collection--it's ridiculous how many albums he's on. Anyone else have some suggestions? particularly non "Buckethead" albums like DCK and Praxis

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #25 of 29
Praxis is kind of wonderful -- it's avant fusion with a world influence, but more of an ensemble project. I'd start with Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis), and see if that nips your buds.

Death Cube K is what I've taken to calling "damnbient" -- dark ambient. The first one is still my favorite, Dreamatorium.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #27 of 29
It is always hard for me to pick a favorite anything, but I think my favorite Buckethead album is Pepper's Ghost. It certainly was my favorite for awhile when I first started listening to some Buckethead CDs. There are several more I like very much though.

Dec 14, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by NLynch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else have some suggestions? particularly non "Buckethead" albums like DCK and Praxis

Dragons of Eden, Axiology, Chinese Democracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back