what bounce should i get on my new lob wedge?
Aug 3, 2004 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TheMuffinMan_01

500+ Head-Fier
im gunna pick up a RAC taylor made lob wedge tomorrow because i lost my titleist one. its going to be chrome, unless you can convince me to spend more money on something else, and i was wondering if i should get the 7 or 12(i think 12) degree bounce. i do like to used my lob wedge in greenside bunkers and out of the rough, but i also like to use it on the fairways and for chipping. which bounce would give me the best of both worlds? i hit the 7 bounce one at the store place and it hit alot nicer than the titleist and cleveland. the titleist had too hard of a feel, and the cleveland was too heavy and felt bad. BUT they both had higher bounce and i was hitting off of a mat. so if your still with me, and think you can help, please suggest a good bounce for me, or ask me questions so you can make a more accurate responce.

Aug 3, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 3
Ideal bounce is almost exclusively a factor of the conditions of the course where you play and the type of shots you'll try to hit.
In general, shots hit from softer fairways and fluffier sand benefit from more bounce. The bounce makes it harder for the club to dig and creates more forgiveness in those conditions.
Tight fairways (harder ground w/ short grass) or firm sand will be easier to handle with less bounce.
Hitting from a mat couldn't be more irrelevant since you cant take a divot anyway.
Another way to look at it:
If you play from soft sand without enough bounce and don't judge the shot perfectly, you risk taking too much sand and leaving the ball short or failing to get out of the hazard.
Too much bounce from a tight lie- hit just a hair fat- risks the club bouncing off the ground and the leading edge catching the ball "in the mouth" resulting in a skulled shot.
If you like to hit flop shots, reduced bounce makes it easier to slide the clubhead under the ball. A slightly "fat" shot from the fairway will dig in and give a poor result compared to the same shot w/ more bounce.
I use less bounce because the sand where I play is very firm and I can always use my 55 degree wedge (wide flange) from fluffier sand.
More bounce=better for chipping; less chance of a stub.
Hope this long-winded response answers more questions than it begs.
CPW (8.7 hdcp)

Aug 3, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 3
hmmmmmm.... so i guess i found myself catching the ball thin a fair amount from the fairway with my old high bounce wedge, but i loved to chip with it... does this mean i should change the way i play? will either the 7 degree or 12 give me the best of both worlds, or work well in one area and the best in another as apposed to great in one area and junky in the other? which one has the most balance? with the low bounce, would i still be able to chip well? i guess its a toss up, but if you were me what would you get? i do play in pretty hard sand, and i do have a high loft sand wedge...

edit, im leaning towards the low bounce now, as i do catch shots thin a fair bit, and not fat too often. but im still not sure, i had my Golf Town ship the 12 degree bounce in from another store, i hope they don't get pissed if i pick up the one they already had
tongue.gif
and **** i hope they still have the one with the low bounce
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back