What book are you reading right now?
Oct 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #3,226 of 5,346

That book reminded me of another title that I like to recommend to you: Shadow Divers
One of those that you can't stop reading and look forward to the next day. Loved everything about it.

I read that when it first came out. Bought it, walked into a pub, ordered a pint and finished the book by the time I left. Pity Junger never reached that same level of writing again.

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #3,227 of 5,346
Nothing highbrow...just a good old shoot-them-up/bang-them-up books...Vince Flyn's Jack Reacher, the entire series in chronological order.

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #3,228 of 5,346
Nothing highbrow...just a good old shoot-them-up/bang-them-up books...Vince Flyn's Jack Reacher, the entire series in chronological order.

Sorry bud, it's either Lee Child's Jack Reacher or Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp. Both great characters.........Rapp is my favorite of all time. Too bad Vince passed away.

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #3,230 of 5,346

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #3,231 of 5,346
I also liked The Perfect Storm.

If you like maritime-based non-fiction I recommend In The Heart Of The Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick - it's about these people who drift in the sea for 90 days after their whaling ship was sunk by an angry whale (the true events that inspired Moby Dick)

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #3,232 of 5,346
  I also liked The Perfect Storm.

If you like maritime-based non-fiction I recommend In The Heart Of The Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick - it's about these people who drift in the sea for 90 days after their whaling ship was sunk by an angry whale (the true events that inspired Moby Dick)

I loved "In The Heart Of The Sea" by Nathaniel Philbrick (...and the "Perfect Storm" (the film was OK). I'm reading "Moby Dick" right now.You might want to check out the PBS/American Experience documentary called, "Into The Deep: America, Whaling & The World" by Ric Burns." It is an extremely well done film. This documentary includes haunting reenactments of the events that Philbrick focused upon in his book that, as you mention above, actually inspired "Moby Dick." You can watch a trailer at the site linked below...sometimes at American Experience whole episodes/documentary films are available online, in some cases they only provide a trailer...this film is available for sale...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/whaling/player/

Excerpt of film content transcript related to the Philbrick book...

"Despite these difficulties, Herman Melville read extensively on his own, consuming mythology, anthropology, and history. He was fascinated with Shakespeare's poetic devices and their ability to capture an audience. He was also raised hearing the thrilling story of the whaleship Essex, which was attacked by a whale and sunk when Melville was just a year old. Melville's captivation with the terrifying grandeur of whales, the audacity of whalers, and the relationship between the two would be a motivating factor behind his writing."

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #3,233 of 5,346

My favorite non-fiction adventure writer.  1st person accounts of challenging dangerous mountains and personal demons.

Have you read Mountains of the mind by Robert Mcfarlane? Its supposed to be brilliant. I haven't gotten around to it myself. 

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #3,234 of 5,346
Liber Null & Psychonaut by Peter J. Carroll, for ~20th time.

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #3,235 of 5,346
Oct 21, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #3,237 of 5,346
Oct 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #3,240 of 5,346
  I read it when it got shortlisted for the booker - hated it. did nothig for me

The later part and the end was kind of weak but he had paints a pretty good picture of modern day Moscow and when you start reading it, the build up itself is quite good. I think the book needed another 100-150 pages so that it could be ended as it deserved to be. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back