What book are you reading right now?
Dec 13, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #4,951 of 5,345
Started this morning.

41YFf-HA1bL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Jan 14, 2020 at 3:44 AM Post #4,957 of 5,345
Around spring 2019 I mentioned my plan of reading a book called Grensen(The Border) by Norwegian author and traveller Erika Fatland. I think at least @RCBinTN showed some interest in this.
During a holiday to Croatia that summer I actually got the time to read it. I forgot to update back then, but better late than never.
This book is fantastic :)
Erika Fatland travels alone through every country and state along the russian border. Over 623 pages she goes back and forth between the history of places she visits and her own experiences on the voyage.
After living and studying in both russia and some of the neighbouring states in her youth she both speaks russian and has some good contacts that help her along the way.
It was a little intimidating to get started with such a brick of a book about the former soviet, but once I had opened it the pages just flew.
The book is translated to several languages already, and seems to have a planned english release sometime in 2020 with the title "The Border - A Journey Around Russia".

At the moment I'm reading Live and Let Die by Ian Flemming, before I'll probably crack open Anthony Bourdain's "Medium raw: A Bloody Valentine to the World of Food and the People Who Cook".
230-9.jpg

Jan 14, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #4,958 of 5,345
Pale.jpg
#2 in the Earl Swagger (Bob Lee's father) series.
Earl gets in all kinds of trouble in Southern Mississippi.

Jan 28, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #4,963 of 5,345
upload_2020-1-28_18-31-43.jpeg

Veeck as in wreck / Bill Veeck

I ordered Bill Veeck’s autobiography in the mid 80’s via a bookstore in Ottawa. Back in those days there was no Internet or “online ordering”. When I picked up the book, to my surprise, not only was it this beautiful hard copy w/ the top of the pages in gold (picture above) but it was also autographed by Veeck. Being a big baseball fan I was thrilled to no end. This book covers the life of one of the most interesting/ innovative, real life characters to have ever lived, in and outside Major League Baseball. He was nicknamed “The Gadfly”. This is my third time reading this book and it’s still captures me.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #4,964 of 5,345

Veeck as in wreck / Bill Veeck

I ordered Bill Veeck’s autobiography in the mid 80’s via a bookstore in Ottawa. Back in those days there was no Internet or “online ordering”. When I picked up the book, to my surprise, not only was it this beautiful hard copy w/ the top of the pages in gold (picture above) but it was also autographed by Veeck. Being a big baseball fan I was thrilled to no end. This book covers the life of one of the most interesting/ innovative, real life characters to have ever lived, in and outside Major League Baseball. He was nicknamed “The Gadfly”. This is my third time reading this book and it’s still captures me.
What a great story, Bob. I grew up a "region rat" meaning we lived in NW Indiana. All our news and events came from Chicago. Everybody loved Bill Veeck. I will never, ever, forget "Disco Demolition Night" ... what a hoot! We all thought Steve Dahl was a cool character. And, I was a fan of KC and the Sunshine Band at the time :)

Jan 29, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #4,965 of 5,345
Oh unbelieveble.. I didn't expect to see someone who read this book. I've read Bill Veeck's autobiography for about 10 years ago and I've not heard any news about him or his books anymore, till now

Imagine my reaction reading your reply and noticing that you’re from the Netherlands. Although there have been a few MLB players from your country, the most famous of course being the Hall of Fame pitcher Bert Blyleven from Zeist. To my knowledge there aren’t that many books about Veeck. He passed away in 1986. He certainly was an interesting man who lived by his own rules and outlook. One of a kind. The initial image I posted of the book was taken from the Internet. I’m attaching some photos of my copy, including the one w/ his autograph. Take care, nice talking with you.

6B5AB622-3990-45AE-B6E3-18BE46FDFE6E.jpeg A6821547-4779-425A-B018-39B7B6398FCD.jpeg 104A5AF8-267A-4E99-BB08-7FE326197540.jpeg 7F487C7F-AFD4-48E7-B916-C30A65B0CFD9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back