What book are you reading right now?
Mar 9, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #4,668 of 5,346
A New Earth.jpg

Any serious study of mindfulness requires the reading of Eckhardt Tolle's "The Power Of Now," and "The New Earth." Tolle is not the easiest read, but the effort is worth it for those who have embarked on the sometimes difficult journey of self discovery and meaningful improvement. He is an "evangelist" that implores us to, "stop creating our own suffering and obsessing over the past and what the future might be, and to put ourselves in the now."

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #4,669 of 5,346
I am actually somewhat surprised to see that as a Penguin publising. Pleasantly so, I must admit.

Perhaps we should expand the scope of the thread to consider a "thumnail" review. Sort of why Ilke it and why you may not kind of thing.

Mar 9, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #4,670 of 5,346
I am actually somewhat surprised to see that as a Penguin publising. Pleasantly so, I must admit.
Perhaps we should expand the scope of the thread to consider a "thumnail" review. Sort of why Ilke it and why you may not kind of thing.

I just started reading "A New Earth," but I like the idea of including a thumbnail review...

Mar 9, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #4,671 of 5,346
Fall of Giants.jpeg
Yep...I am hooked. Just finished Triple.
Now re-starting The Century Trilogy.
Love Ken's writing - so engaging.

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #4,672 of 5,346
Last night after work, I missed my bus. The bus stop is just next to a large bookstore, so I tried to kill time by watching the books on display. Discovered the two that immediately attracted me:

'The Eight Mountains' by an Italian Novelist I haven't read anything so far, and the second book that caught my eye was 'The Quantum Labyrinth' by Paul Halpern. This is the story of the two eminent physicists Richard Feyman and John Wheeler.

Two very dissimilar books and I am curious of reading them. The Eight Mountains is about the friendship of two dissimilar boys set in the breathtaking landscape of the Monte Rosa. Italy has some fine novelists indeed.

TQL.jpg
TEM.jpg

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #4,673 of 5,346
Denis Johnson recently moved on from this incarnation, but his last book (below) is a wonderful testament to his talent, vision and humanity. His novel Tree of Smoke (highly recommended) won the National Book Award in '07. His work (particularly Jesus's Son and Already Dead) reveals an adequately managed psychosis, which translates as the sound of someone whistling through the graveyard of a world spun awry.

iu

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #4,676 of 5,346
Three Body.jpg

An awesome 3 volume science fiction magnum opus beginning with the Cultural Revolution in China and ending up at the end of the Universe. The second volume reads a little differently due to having a different translator but that in no way detracts from the storyline itself.

This quality of work makes on think that the "Golden Age" of Science fiction just hit Asia. Good news for fans of the genre.

Apparently the German translation includes some segments that were edited out from the English. I would love to hear what they are from anyone who has read it in German or the original Chinese for that matter.

Apr 1, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #4,678 of 5,346
Sleeping Beautires_Stephen King.jpg

Stephen King, one of my several guilty pleasures. Interesting as always. The story would sound silly if I provided a synopsis. I'm sure that someone will make a "B or C-Level" mini-series out of it. Very timely, considering the recent popularity of "The Handmaid's Tale," and our misogyny-filled history, current events and the #metoo movement. I enjoyed the read...

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #4,679 of 5,346
Sam Kean's

The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements

If you are into the sciences Sam Kean is one of the most engaging writers I've found.

Apr 2, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #4,680 of 5,346
T Is For Trespass -- Sue Grafton. Solid effort by one of the masters of the genre.
Thanks - I will check her out...sounds like right up my alley :)

Winter.jpeg
Part 2 of The Trilogy Series. Starts in 1933.
The Nazi's are taking power in Germany.
Great characters and story lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back