What book are you reading right now?
Nov 17, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #4,621 of 5,348
51eWEz87M9L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Bob loves Frop. Bob needs cannabis...

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #4,622 of 5,348
One wonders if Bob then lives in Canada where they are just legalizing Canned Annubis:)

Nov 18, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #4,623 of 5,348
KI.jpg

From this year's Nobel Prize winner and winner of the prestigious Man Booker prize 1989. As I haven't read anything from him, I am pretty curious to read it!

Dec 2, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #4,630 of 5,348
How apropo you are reading Romeo's book along with Heart of Darkness. His account of that Peacekeeping mission is nothing short of horrifying. Between that and Lew MacKenzies account of the Mission in Bosnia the UN comes off as somewhat lacking.

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #4,631 of 5,348
How apropo you are reading Romeo's book along with Heart of Darkness. His account of that Peacekeeping mission is nothing short of horrifying. Between that and Lew MacKenzies account of the Mission in Bosnia the UN comes off as somewhat lacking.

Yes, they're both very heavy books cruelty. I met Romeo once but I was very young

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #4,633 of 5,348
Yes, they're both very heavy books cruelty. I met Romeo once but I was very young

Indeed. Not for the faint of heart but the truth and futlility portrayed in either book merits study.

I never met Romeo, but Lew Mackenzie is an acuiaintance since he held the rank of Major from my days in motorsport. A fierce competitor, there was always a down to earth pragmatism about the man that I wish was still around for the so called "War on Terror"

Dec 8, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #4,634 of 5,348
Surrender newy york.jpg

In the truest spirit of this thread, I am 40 pages in and spellbound. For those of you unfamiliar with Carr's work I would strongly suggest begining with The Alienist and working forward from there. As American authors go he is the anti Dan Brown. His writing is concise and his ability to draw pictures within a single paragraph harken back to Joseph Conrad. His topical choices are always controversial even when taking on a well worn genre which Surrender, New York in fact does.
A Brilliant and well documented troubled mind, when he does get something on to paper, whether it be fiction or military history analysis, it pretty much demands to be read. One of the few living authors who I perch like a hawk over the new release shelf in anticipation of thier next work. Oxymoronically, I am almost hesitant to open the new book as much like some heathen with a bottle of expensive wine, am tempted to rush through and not let myself savour the experience fully.

If you thought Silence of the Lambs was a great novel (and it was) this might be up your alley. If you like an author that challenges the current status quo, and in this one he takes on the whole CSI scenario and dissects it with an insight and logic that delivers a whole secondary level of horror in itself, get a copy right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back