What book are you reading right now?
Dec 6, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #3,871 of 5,348

Yes, "The Trigger" is about Gavrilo Princip. The book is essentially a "biography" of the man who assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary thus triggering World War I. The focus is on Princip rather than on the war itself. The writer writes in first person as he travels through Bosnia/Serbia and follows Princip's footsteps from childhood to his death. I'm about fifty pages in and it's very interesting...

The book keeps silent about the real perpetrators of the assassination who pulled the strings on which Gavrilo Princip was dangling.

I gathered from reading "The Trigger" that, in the end, Gavrilo Princip was essentially a lone wolf. The real "perpetrators," as well as the assassination team itself, were a mixed group with mixed loyalties and goals all of which stood in some way to gain by crippling Austria-Hungary/and the Hapsburg empire. Princip was striking-out against Austrian imperialism, and fighting for the establishment of a political entity that eventually became Yugoslavia. (his goal was achieved and ultimately failed...). The others in his group had varying goals. I don't think that Princip was dangling on any particular group's strings, though they may have thought he was, and history has tended to portray it in that manner. IMHO Interesting book on a topic that needs continued study...

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #3,873 of 5,348
I need to publically eat some crow - and I do it gladly...

At the urging of Magick Man, I reluctantly obtained George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones. I normally avoid Fantasy books like the Black Plague (pun intended), but I have to say this was a GREAT story. There are excellent characters, lots of intrigue and no stupid elvish singing. I listened to the audiobook version read by Roy Dotrice, who's voices was perfect for this story.

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #3,874 of 5,348

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #3,875 of 5,348
Fr. Rolfe (aka Baron Corvo) - Hadrian the Seventh. Exquisitely and colourfully written, but also a poorly-disguised fantasy of how the author wanted his own life to turn out. Just gone past half way, and enjoying enough it so far as to consider hunting down more of his books.

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #3,876 of 5,348
51O1HFjjE1L.jpg

Dec 27, 2014 at 4:35 AM Post #3,879 of 5,348
I havent been able to put this one down over Xmas

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #3,885 of 5,348

Users who are viewing this thread

Back