What book are you reading right now?
Nov 22, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #3,856 of 5,346
  Just finished a couple of excellent biographies.
'Just the one' by Graham Lord, about the legendarily dissipated writer Jeffrey Bernard.

'The Quest for Corvo' by A.J.A.Symons, about the writer, artist, tramp, litigant, pederast, sponger and generally peculiar character Frederick Rolfe, aka Baron Corvo.

Now getting stuck into the Ingoldsby Legends, which is great fun!

You can read The Ingoldsby Legends free here - http://www.exclassics.com/ingold/ingintro.htm - the PDF version contains the original illustrations.

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #3,857 of 5,346
hello readers of head-fi!

I hardly ever read, but I would love to read more. The big problem is that I have no idea what to read or even what I might enjoy reading. So I need to try some stuff out to see what tickles my fancy. 

I remember having to do a lot of book reports in high school and it was an absolute drag. And more recently I tried to start reading, bought the Lord of the Rings trilogy, managed to finish the first book 2,5 times, and got halfway through the second book twice. But then I just seem to loose all interest. The only (non university) book I managed to finish in the last 5 years is the Steve Jobs biography by Isaacson, which was pretty interesting.

Do you wise owls have any advice on what I might want to look into? Then I will do some research on the suggestions and decide on a book to read.

Nov 22, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #3,858 of 5,346
After about two years of not reading much, I've finally started again. I used to go into bed at about 8 or 9 and read until 1-3 in the morning, I was pretty crazy. I've had way too much homework and a little brother now sleeps in the room with me, so a light on past 9 or 10 isn't feasible. I regret not reading over the past couple years, and I'm glad I've started again. I'm reading Rally Cry, the first book in The Lost Regiment series by William R. Forstchen. I finished the eight-book series a few years back and it's my favorite series to this day. I've never reread a book, I can't stand it, but it's been long enough that I forget most of the details and main plot. I've only just started, but it's very good, just as I remembered, and I recommend it highly for anyone who likes science fiction and history. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #3,865 of 5,346
  Yes, "The Trigger" is about Gavrilo Princip. The book is essentially a "biography" of the man who assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary thus triggering World War I. The focus is on Princip rather than on the war itself. The writer writes in first person as he travels through Bosnia/Serbia and follows Princip's footsteps from childhood to his death. I'm about fifty pages in and it's very interesting...

The book keeps silent about the real perpetrators of the assassination who pulled the strings on which Gavrilo Princip was dangling.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #3,866 of 5,346
  Let me know if its good. I really enjoy Feynman's own books.

There's also a good chunk of the man himself on YouTube, , like the 95-minute Horizon special, or The Pleasure of finding things out.

Yes, his own books are very good.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #3,867 of 5,346

I am reading the series again. This time I won't have to wait 20 years to finish it!

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #3,868 of 5,346

I am reading the series again. This time I won't have to wait 20 years to finish it!

I like to re read the "eye of the world" around this time every year. What a great story! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #3,869 of 5,346

I like to re read the "eye of the world" around this time every year. What a great story! 
beerchug.gif

I finished that last week. On to The Great Hunt! I keep picking up details I missed the first time through.

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #3,870 of 5,346
  I finished that last week. On to The Great Hunt! I keep picking up details I missed the first time through.

I love the chase - from Inn to Inn. I might read it again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back