What book are you reading right now?
Dec 10, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #3,361 of 5,346

I seem to have read this book like 15 years ago but my memories of it are very vague. I took it from the British Council. The reason of it is that my English wasn't very clear at that time and I didn't get proper impact.

I have read it 5 or 6 times. I just love his writing style. He is always interesting. I have wanted to get a copy of his PHD thesis -  "computer stylistic analysis of the works of Samuel Beckett" i don't know where to get it though. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #3,362 of 5,346
  I have read it 5 or 6 times. I just love his writing style. He is always interesting. I have wanted to get a copy of his PHD thesis -  "computer stylistic analysis of the works of Samuel Beckett" i don't know where to get it though. 

On the other hand at the same time when I read Disgrace, I also borrowed Driving Over Lemons: An Optimist in Andalucia by Chris Stewart and I really enjoyed it. This guy at some period was a drummer at Genesis. He bought a small farm in Andalucia ( Spain) and described how it went. By the way at that time land in Spain was very affordable and a great investment. I'm actually is going to google what has happened to that guy Chris Stewart nowadays.

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #3,363 of 5,346
That sounds interesting i am a big fan of the early genesis work especially "selling England by the pound". 

Got this today in town, love Phillip Roth, i will start it tomorrow. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #3,364 of 5,346
  That sounds interesting i am a big fan of the early genesis work especially "selling England by the pound". 

Got this today in town, love Phillip Roth, i will start it tomorrow. 

I have read a few Philip Roth novels myself.

- letting go
- the plot against america
- zuckerman unbound
- portnoy's complaint
- american pastoral

i enjoyed and remember 'the plot against america' and 'portnoy's complaint'. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #3,365 of 5,346
  I have read a few Philip Roth novels myself.

- letting go
- the plot against america
- zuckerman unbound
- portnoy's complaint
- american pastoral

i enjoyed and remember 'the plot against america' and 'portnoy's complaint'. 

you have read all the ones that i haven't. i have read -

Sabbaths theater 
Everyman
Indignation
The human stain

and reading exit ghost at the moment. I have to say that "Sabbaths Theater" is a masterpiece, one of the best books I have ever read. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #3,367 of 5,346
  ** +1
and reading exit ghost at the moment. **I have to say that "Sabbaths Theater" is a masterpiece, one of the best books I have ever read. 

Then I have to check that out.

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #3,369 of 5,346

and

I can already tell the ending of Flowers for Algernon is going to emotionally annihilate me.

Flowers for algernon is great

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #3,372 of 5,346
Finished exit ghost in a day, it was excellent. Starting this today ( i have put it off for long enough) ¬ 

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #3,373 of 5,346
For anyone who has read the Tolkien LOTr, Hobbit, silmarillon books I recommend the witcher series books last wish etc, I've gone through halfwayy and honestly can say smashes the Tolkien series in terms of awesomeness.

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #3,374 of 5,346
For anyone who has read the Tolkien LOTr, Hobbit, silmarillon books I recommend the witcher series books last wish etc, I've gone through halfwayy and honestly can say smashes the Tolkien series in terms of awesomeness.

seriously? How does it compare to game of thrones? is it up there as well? Is the writing style "page turner and popcorn" or written well? I have started so many Fantasy series and been disappointed in the end, there really are only a handful that are worth it in my opinion. A lot of them are written so badly.  

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #3,375 of 5,346
Did you start with the stories or the saga? Is it translated to English or is English his 1st language? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back