What Beyerdynamic's to go with Fiio E7 dac?
Mar 7, 2012 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RedFangBangBang

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Considering buying a pair of headphones from the Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 range for use with my Fiio E7 dac.  What do you recommend I get to go nicely with my E7 dac, and what OHM can it handle? 

I tend to like a balanced sound - bass and treble are not high priority unless I've been drinking.

Thanks.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFangBangBang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Considering buying a pair of headphones from the Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 range for use with my Fiio E7 dac.  What do you recommend I get to go nicely with my E7 dac, and what OHM can it handle? 

I tend to like a balanced sound - bass and treble are not high priority unless I've been drinking.

DT880 250 Ohm (Pro if you want to save some money, and do not mind a coiled cord and slightly higher clamping force). If you like loud music, get the 32 Ohm version instead, or even better the Pro and an E11 on the money saved. Since you prefer balanced sound, the DT770 and DT990 (bass and treble emphasis, recessed mids) are not ideal for you.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 6
The Fiio E7 is too weak to drive full sized cans that need dedicated amplification like the DT770/880/990.

Try the DT440, it's got a nice balanced sound and don't really need dedicated amplification.

Mar 7, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:

DT880 250 Ohm (Pro if you want to save some money, and do not mind a coiled cord and slightly higher clamping force). If you like loud music, get the 32 Ohm version instead, or even better the Pro and an E11 on the money saved. Since you prefer balanced sound, the DT770 and DT990 (bass and treble emphasis, recessed mids) are not ideal for you.

^ Everything he said!

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 6
Is it worth biting the bullet and going for DT880 250 Ohm with the Fiio E11's?

What is the Fiio E7 good for if it can't drive full sized cans?  The bin along with my Shure 840's?
blink.gif

I thought the sound from the Fiio E7's went nicely with my Shure's however I guess I'm new to this game so I don't have much to judge them on.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated!

Mar 7, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Is it worth biting the bullet and going for DT880 250 Ohm with the Fiio E11's?

What is the Fiio E7 good for if it can't drive full sized cans?

Well, it obviously can drive full size headphones, although it is not a great amplifier (it is basically an E6 with a simple DAC). The Shures are quite efficient, and need less power than any of the DTxx0 series headphones, regardless of the impedance. So, you will need to turn up the volume quite a bit compared to the SRH840. Only you can decide though if the E7 is still enough for you, or the E11 is really needed. By the way, if you can sell the E7 at a good price, you may also consider the new E17 - it combines the amplification performance of the E11 with a better DAC than that of the E7, and more features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back