What bands would you rather listen to recordings.
Jan 1, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #16 of 30
"Roxy Music Live" to me is better than most of their studio recordings. "Wait for Columbus," Little Feats live album is better than their studio albums. Same with J. Geils Band's live albums. Of course, I'd see GWAR and The Tubes live, rather than a recording for the performance. On Steely Dan -- listening to the Metal Legs or Live at the Record Plant boots and tell me they weren't AMAZING live.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a very big Modest Mouse fan. I saw them in concert this past June and I have to say that I was disappointed. I have come to the conclusion that their sound is more fully realized in the studio. I don't like them any less. I don't feel that they are any less talented. I just feel that their music sounds better with the attention to detail possible in a studio production...

Modest Mouse are hit or miss live. I've been to a few great shows, and a few not-so-great shows. Do try to see them again, as it may well be a different experience. When Isaac was drinking, they were really all over the map from night to night. Now they're a little more consistent.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen a huge number of live concerts. I always went for the show and the energy of the crowd, not the music. I have yet to hear any band that does not sound better on studio recordings.

confused_face_2.gif
I don't understand such sediment. To me, any band that cannot sound better live is bat**** useless and should be banned from releasing any music. The studio recordings just cannot match the intensity and realism of a live show. If you can't perform well live, you suck!

Jan 1, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #19 of 30
I remember seeing that atmospheric French band Air—not to be confused with the briliiant avant-jazz trio of the late '70s, whom I've also seen—and I couldn't believe they (and most of their audience) thought it was cool to just recreate the singles (which were great) almost verbatim onstage. I guess I want things to feel more expansive live, and that has to mean more than a light show. i walked out on Air, but thankfully, it hasn't dulled my admiration for those singles.

Oddly enough, I just acquired The Name Of This Band Is…, the Talking Heads' first live album, on LP, and it reminded me that that band could really play.

Jan 1, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Glad to meet another Modest Mouse fan! The Moon and Antarctica ranks among my favorite CDs of all time.
If you haven't heard them, I suggest that you also try Dismemberment Plan. They are certainly different from MM, but they should appeal to the same audience.

Ordered two of Dismemberment Plan's albums. There was your recommendation, and several reviews that I read on each album sounded very interesting. I'm looking forward to checking them out...thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Modest Mouse are hit or miss live. I've been to a few great shows, and a few not-so-great shows. Do try to see them again, as it may well be a different experience. When Isaac was drinking, they were really all over the map from night to night. Now they're a little more consistent.

Issac is obviously a gifted wordsmith and music maker. The band is tight. I will certainly see them again. I have a friend that likes them so much he practically tours with them. He warned me that they are inconsistent live. I probably just saw them on a not so good night...

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steely Dan

Not that i have seen them live, but their live recordings are far from inspiring when compared to the masterfully recorded and mixed studio albums.

Check out the "Alive in America" album, and the "Two Against Nature" DVD.. the latter especially might change your mind.

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #22 of 30
i was speaking from my experience with the "Alive in America" album, it just doesn't really do it for me. I will have to open up my "two against nature" cd and see if it has a dvd inside. thanks for the recommendation.

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #23 of 30
Dream Theater, Symphony X, and Epica are just as amazing live as they are in studio. Hence my love for concert recordings.
biggrin.gif

Now, if there were ANY band to never see live, it would definitely be Dragonforce. They just can't do it up live.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordered two of Dismemberment Plan's albums. There was your recommendation, and several reviews that I read on each album sounded very interesting. I'm looking forward to checking them out...thanks!

I think (and hope!) that you will like them. I am a bit surprised that you ordered two without hearing one first, though!

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

I think (and hope!) that you will like them. I am a bit surprised that you ordered two without hearing one first, though!

Don't worry about it, I buy a lot of music and get burned very infrequently. The reviews at CDUniverse and Amazon fleshed out your recommendation and I was just as influenced by them. I'm addicted to the rush of discovering new music, Dismemberment Plan looks like a good gamble....thanks again.

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steely Dan

Not that i have seen them live, but their live recordings are far from inspiring when compared to the masterfully recorded and mixed studio albums.

X2, Steely Dan is one of my favorite bands. I would have liked to see them live.

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raps1513 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Performer: "Why?"
Absolutely Anemic.

Really? That's very interesting. I really enjoy their albums, and have been wanting to see them live. Maybe I'll pass...

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember seeing that atmospheric French band Air—not to be confused with the briliiant avant-jazz trio of the late '70s, whom I've also seen—and I couldn't believe they (and most of their audience) thought it was cool to just recreate the singles (which were great) almost verbatim onstage. I guess I want things to feel more expansive live, and that has to mean more than a light show. i walked out on Air, but thankfully, it hasn't dulled my admiration for those singles.

Oddly enough, I just acquired The Name Of This Band Is…, the Talking Heads' first live album, on LP, and it reminded me that that band could really play.

I saw Air at the masonic center in San Francisco... WOW... if you are in an acoustically designed space Air sounds amazing.. Imagine being in a cocoon of the warm rich sounds with zero distortion. Damn it sounded good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back