What Bands or Albums did you hate...at first?
Feb 14, 2005 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

drminky

100+ Head-Fier
What music did you hate with a passion or write off to all your friends to only 'get it' later?

For instance, I, like many others at the time, was a huge Radiohead basher after their first album came out. Then, after 2 great followups, I was forced to admit that maybe they were pretty good after all...
tongue.gif

When a young teenager, into the tragic overproduced 80s guitar solo stuff that teenagers went for at the time (guns n roses, iron maiden etc etc), I used to despise my older sister's music, which consisted of little more than one 'Pixies' tape which she played over and over. To me it sounded like talentless bootleg cr@p, only to find a few years later I didn't mind it at all
rolleyes.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 43
Coldplay - Parachutes. Yellow got way overplayed and really annoyed me, especially the terrible rhymes, so I pretty much wrote Parachutes off and only listened to it once. I got into Rush of Blood when it came out, then gradually went back to Parachutes, and now I think that's a better album, though I like them both quite a lot.

oh, and Nelly Furtado. I was on holiday in Berlin when Turn Off The Light came out, with MTV my sole source of music. The first five times I saw that video, I hated it. After 20, it won me over...

Feb 15, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 43
I really did not like Queen when I first heard them (I was pretty young), and then I really liked them (I was a little older, but still young enough to be an unabashed poser sometimes), and then I hated them, but now I think they are pretty good.

Other than that though, I usually stick with my opinion.

Feb 15, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 43
HATED White Stripes. Now I love 'em. The Jack White produced Loretta Lynn album is genious.

Feb 15, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
Coldplay - Parachutes. Yellow got way overplayed and really annoyed me, especially the terrible rhymes, so I pretty much wrote Parachutes off and only listened to it once. I got into Rush of Blood when it came out, then gradually went back to Parachutes, and now I think that's a better album, though I like them both quite a lot.

I actually hadn't heard Yellow till after I was exposed to majority of Parachutes by a friend of mine who had seen'em live in London over a summer he spent there. (this was just before Yellow became hugely popular in North America). I still consider Parachutes to be the better of the two albums, but really enjoy Rush Of BLood.
Waiting for their soon to be released 3rd album.

as for who I hated at first...: this was when I was young and ignorant... Bjork *gasp*. My dad had bought her Debut album when it came out in Germany, and loved it. I, couldnt stand listening to it. It took me probably about 3 or 4 years before I became a huge fan
biggrin.gif

Now she's a goddess I worship weekly.

Feb 15, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 43
I couldnt stand country weastern for the longest time. But lateky Im getting into johnny cash, Junior Brown and Wylon Jennings. I dont know why, theres something catchy about the lyrical story lines and simple melody.

Garrett

Feb 15, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 43
Radiohead. Took me a long, long time to warm up to them. Now I love them.

Feb 15, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 43
oh heck, yeah, I forgot Bjork. I still hate bits of Bjork, but I bought Post to make up a 'buy fifteen squillion get two free' deal and it's genius. Sigh.

Feb 15, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
Radiohead. Took me a long, long time to warm up to them. Now I love them.

I still don't like them, and I've really tried to. A few songs on 'Hail to the thief' and 'Ok Computer' are good, but apart from that I just think they're boring.

Feb 16, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 43
Whitlams - No Aphrodisiac I just could not stand them until one day it so happpened that the album was in the CD changer and it was a bloody hot day which is why I didn't feel like getting up.
So listened to the whole thing and kept listening for the rest of the day. The lyrics themselves are worth every penny spent on the album.

Feb 16, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 43
I didn't like Portishead the first time I listened to their self-titled album. Then I listened to "Dummy" and liked it a lot, and went back to the self-titled, and liked it even more.
blink.gif

One of my favorite albums, Shiina Ringo's "Karuki Zaamen Kurino Hana" I absolutely hated, thought it was horrible next to her debut "Muzai Moratorium" mainly because it was so dramatically different, jarring and discordant at times. But I started listening to it more and more and now it's my favorite Shiina Ringo album.
icon10.gif

Feb 17, 2005 at 7:28 AM Post #14 of 43
I never really liked any of favourite artists when I first heard them. So, I guess that includes:

- Led Zeppelin
- Pink Floyd
- The Beatles
- Guns n' Roses
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

- Joe Satriani
- Deep Purple

.... and a whole bunch more.

Now, addmitedly, a lot of these groups I never actually *hated*, but I just didn't get what the big deal was.

Feb 17, 2005 at 7:30 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by juneamour
I hated Nirvana at the very begining. After a while, Nirvana sounded okey for me.

Really? It was the exact opposite with me.

When I first heard Smells Like Teen Spirit, I absolutely loved it. I went out and bought 3 of their CD's right away, but I lost interest after a few months.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back