What audio software to choose?
Jun 18, 2008 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sackynut

100+ Head-Fier
Hopefully this is the "best" forum for this thread. Im going to be buying some new software soon to record and edit audio.

What I am looking for is something like Apple's Garage Band, but with more features. So what I mean is:
1. Easy connection with MIDI controller such as keyboard
2. Easy integration of virtual instruments for MIDI
3. MIDI writing and editing in-program
4. Looping of audio AND MIDI sequences
5. Effects, panning etc etc
6. Editing of basic audio
7. Capable of handling many tracks
8. Included virtual instruments a plus, but I have my own.

My list so far includes;
Sony Acid 6 (or newest version) [$70]
Cakewalk Sonar 7 (or newest version) [$100]
Sony Sound Forge [$70]

Im thinking Sonar, and possibly Acid are the best for me.

Any opinions and input would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Note: Im really just going to be creating virtual instrument -(with some real recorded instruments and sounds)- music with plenty of self-created loops. I want to be able to create a real song with VERY easy MIDI recording and editing.

Jun 18, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #2 of 4
You can't go wrong with Ableton Live 7!! It does everything you mentioned, plus more!....I would of said "Reason 4", but you want to edit Audio, and Reason is not able to compete with Live on that part!

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 4
Sound Forge is great for final stages of mastering. Setting final levels, watching for peaks, normalizing, EQ, etc, but you cant do tracks, and I dont think you can do loops as well (atleast not in an easy way)

But for track based recording and mixing, Sony Acid is awesome. I have been using it for 3-4 years now. I havent tried the 70$ music studio version so I don't quite know whats its missing compared to the Pro version. But its very easy to use. I tried Cakewalk, didnt like it much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back