what aspects of a headphone review do you think are a total waste of time?
Jan 3, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #16 of 19
"what aspects of a headphone review do you think are a total waste of time?"

I'd say flowery prose which is primarily written with the maybe unconscious desire to browbeat the reader with how cultured and expert the reviewer is without any genuinely useful information being imparted. I've done it on a couple of occasions, read it back to myself, found it to be dumb and resolved not to do it again.

Read any 6moons review for example to see what I'd skip in toto from a review.

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #17 of 19
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/468532/blox-tm5-top-earbud-competing-with-pk1-and-ok1

Quote:
Quote:
I am OK with any parts of the review, but I hate their typical order. Most reviewers place the less important parts first. I write my reviews "upside-down", placing conclusion first, then SQ, then details and so on.

Thats interesting.  Can you point to a review that dies this, I want to see if I like it.  

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #18 of 19
I don't like it when a reviewer doesn't list what he's had experience with in the past, and what equipment he's using to drive the cans under review.  Phrases like, "The best cans I've ever heard" are meaningless unless they indicate what other cans (and under what conditions) they're actually heard.

The things I personally find useful:  Genre of music used; listening volume; associated equipment and previous experience with other cans.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #19 of 19
I don't care about the packaging either, especially when it comes with a ton of HD pictures. I can use Google images for that.

I don't really trust subjective impressions written while listening to music. They should always be related to technical aspects, not only musical enjoyment (otherwise you're only describing the song). I don't think a headphone should be limited to a specific genre anyway.
I rather like detailed comparisons between different headphones, especially when it comes to tonal balance.

I don't like some of the terms people use to describe sound, especially in the French reviews (we have so many pompous expressions that don't mean anything regarding hi-fi). It's just ridiculous sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back