What are your top five Westerns?
Nov 10, 2003 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

fractus2

Headphoneus Supremus
Gunfights, wide open spaces, horses, cattle, what's not to like? Here are my top five:
  1. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  2. Buono, il brutto, il cattivo, Il (aka The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)
  3. The Magnificent Seven
  4. The Outlaw Jose Wales
  5. The Professionals[/list=1]
    This list may jog your memory, though it may omit a few greats.

Nov 10, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 31
Any of the spaghetti variety
tongue.gif

Actually I dig all the old ones... Two later day ones that come to mind are Silverado & Tombstone.

Nov 10, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
Any of the spaghetti variety

Here is a formidable, albeit expensive, collection of the original spaghetti westerns (with, as appropriate Japanese, Italian, and English soundtracks/subtitles). Note that in Japanese, spaghetti westerns are called macaroni westerns (probably because it is so hard to pronounce spaghetti in Japanese.)

Nov 10, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 31
Clint Eastwood is the Western Man:

1. The Outlaw Josey Wales
2. The Good, Bad, And The Ugly
3. High Plains Drifter
4. Fist Full Of Dollars
5. Two Mules For Sarah ? (Think That's the name)

On the written mediA:
Any Sackett book by Louis L'Amour

Nov 10, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 31
Not in any particular order but memory:

Silverado - loved that movie. A lot of great actors and the ONLY movie where Kevin costner's acting wasn't HORRIBLE!

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence - come on, John Wayne AND James Stewart in the same movie.

(DOH - don't remember the name) the one with Charles Bronson and the harmonica where he keeps playing it through the whole movie until you find out at the end why. Excellent movie.

Blazing Saddles - what more need I say. Comedy done like no one else other than Mel Brooks could do. The camp fire scene was classic.

True Grit - a true John Wayne classic.

Nov 10, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 31
In no particular order (except the first
biggrin.gif
):

1. The Wild Bunch - best western and art film

The Searchers - yeah, there has to be a John Wayne Film

A Fistful of Dollars - the later movies in the spaghetti trilogy got quite weird

Ride the High Country - two western greats go out on a high note

The Unforgiven - Clint finally gets it right (on his own)

BONUS: Quigley Down Under - set in the far West; a man, a rifle, and Australia's historic domestic rascism
eek.gif

Nov 10, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Note that in Japanese, spaghetti westerns are called macaroni westerns (probably because it is so hard to pronounce spaghetti in Japanese.)

They say it all the time when ordering your meal, kind of like this: su - pa - ge - ti

Quote:

BONUS: Quigley Down Under - set in the far West; a man, a rifle, and Australia's historic domestic rascism

Love that movie!

Quote:

Two Mules For Sarah ? (Think That's the name)

Two Mules for Sister Sarah I think. Good one, with Clint Eastwood and Shirley MacLaine.

Quote:

(DOH - don't remember the name) the one with Charles Bronson and the harmonica where he keeps playing it through the whole movie until you find out at the end why. Excellent movie.

Once Upon a Time in the West

Nov 10, 2003 at 4:17 AM Post #9 of 31
Thanks Fractus! I forgot the name of that movie years ago, but truly loved it. Henry fonda plays an incredibly well done role, as does Charles Bronson. Now that I know the name again I can go buy it next trip to the states. You da man fractus.

Nov 10, 2003 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
They say it all the time when ordering your meal, kind of like this: su - pa - ge - ti

The last syllable is the hard one. The native kana syllabary goes ta-chi-tsu-te-to, so the sound doesn't exist in pure Japanese. You have to speak Katakana Japanese and say te(i) (the kana "i" is a subscript to the "te") -- a little "kirei zya nai."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back