what are your top 5 RPGs?
May 3, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #181 of 243
I grew up in the NES and SNES era...man that makes me feel old even though I am not even 30 yet...

Anyway, having beaten probably 100 different RPGs, its really hard to narrow it down, but Ill try my best. I dont even think I can put them in a particular order, but these are probably the ones that have stuck with me the most.

1) Chrono Trigger - I remember getting this when it came out and its still just a phenomenal game all around. Hell, I even had to buy it again when the PSX version came out just for the Toriyama cutscenes (even though the load times were sometimes unbearable for a damn SNES game). Fantastic music, fantastic story, fantastic gameplay, just never gets old to play.

2) Xenogears - A game that I pretty much beat every year or two, its been fun as Ive gotten older to pick up on all the philosophical themes this game presents. While the second disc is a large disappoint due to budget concerns, the first disc of the game alone is so ambitious in scope that its worth the price alone. Pick it up on PSN if you have a PS3 for 10 bucks and see why some consider it one of the best of all time.

3) Final Fantasy IV - Just another game that brings me back to being a kid again whenever I play it. I have beaten every Final Fantasy and love them all in some way, but Edgar's story has always been my favorite. Shame it tends to get overlooked by VII and VI by the newer generation, but it laid the groundwork for most JRPGs after it and was groundbreaking when it came out.

4)  Final Fantasy Tactics - I feel like a fanboy putting this in here, and I like Tactics Ogre just as much, but I think the sheer amount of hours I put in this game justifies its inclusion. Just a magical game that I can always turn on and play for hours (even if it means me just going to the Deep Dungeon and trying to get those damn ninjas to throw me some Chirijiradens). Also love me some Delita.

5) ADD and cant make up my mind, but a few that I would put in here - Baldurs Gate 2, Dark Souls (forgot I even beat this game, maybe I wanted to forget the horror lol),  Star Ocean: The Second Story (Definitely doesnt deserve to be here based on total package but is my favorite guilty pleasure game and still a damn good rpg), Mass Effect Trilogy (still cant get over the original ending for 3, just awful), Final Fantasy X, Lufia 2, Secret of Mana, hell way too many I cant think of off the top of my head.

After seeing all these modern RPGs in some peoples top 5s, they really should go back and play the classics to see the peak of the genre. While there are some great Western RPGs out there I think the SNES/PSX era is just unsurpassed in sheer volume of great games, and while it may be just the nostalgia talking its so easy to just grab an emulator and go back and play some of the greatest games ever created.

May 4, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #182 of 243
I grew up in the NES and SNES era...man that makes me feel old even though I am not even 30 yet...

After seeing all these modern RPGs in some peoples top 5s, they really should go back and play the classics to see the peak of the genre. While there are some great Western RPGs out there I think the SNES/PSX era is just unsurpassed in sheer volume of great games, and while it may be just the nostalgia talking its so easy to just grab an emulator and go back and play some of the greatest games ever created.

Same here. I find how often more modern RPGs (stuff within the last five years) get named here to be a bit surprising as well. You would think much of Head-Fi would be made up of older people (the "raised on the NES" generation or older) since the headphone hobby demands massive amounts of disposable income, something younger people aren't likely to have, not to mention all the gushing over vintage audio gear around here. I think this particular sub-forum attracts a younger demographic.

If you're curious about my own list:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632517/what-are-your-top-5-rpgs/75#post_8908362

May 5, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #183 of 243
My first taste of rpgs was Chrono Trigger, well... Breath of Fire was first but it didn't resonate with me at first. It wasn't until CT that I got a taste for RPGs. I triedBoF again, and I fell in love. Right after, I rented a little thing called Final Fantasy III (legit VI). For some reason, I thought Final Fantasy VI was like a lower level game than CT. I mean, I ABSOLUTELY loved VI, but I seriously thought it was like a no name game. Sure, it was the "3rd", but I didnt realize that FF was.... FF. XD. My 4th rpg was another little game called Earthbound.

As you can see, my first taste in rpgs came from basically some of the most epic titles ever. Ive been a gamer since rhe Atari days, but I always skipped games that even hinted at being rpgs, other than Zelda. Lol, I have yet to try the SNES Zelda. Lolwut?

Because those were my first true tastes of rpgs, I didnt care for NES rpgs like Zelda. I'm still not a huge fan of Action rpgs, aside from Kingdom Hearts. I've always preferred turn based, or spawns of turn based RPGs. I did like Alundra quite a bit, though I still heavily preferred turn based.

Okay, not completely true. My love for certain action jrpgs started with Tales of Destiny, and then Eternia (aka Destiny II in the US). Then came Star Ocean 2, which I dont care what anyone says, is one of the greatest jrpgs ever.

I think those get a pass, because even though the battle system isnt turn based, they share so much of what I love about typical turn based rpgs.

May 5, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #184 of 243
Quote:
Same here. I find how often more modern RPGs (stuff within the last five years) get named here to be a bit surprising as well. You would think much of Head-Fi would be made up of older people (the "raised on the NES" generation or older) since the headphone hobby demands massive amounts of disposable income, something younger people aren't likely to have, not to mention all the gushing over vintage audio gear around here. I think this particular sub-forum attracts a younger demographic.

I concur.  Pretty much everytime I read a list on here that doesn't include atleast one of the Great SNES, or PSX RPGs, I typically assume that that person has simply never played them, or aren't fans of turn based RPGs.

even if you aren't into the battle system, the stories are usually great enough to overcome that IMO

May 5, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #185 of 243
Quote:
1. Suikoden II
2. Grandia
3. Breath of Fire III
4. Ar Tonelico II: Melody of Metafalica
5. Radiata Stories

biggrin.gif

Updated my list a bit. 

Why don't they make games as good as these any more? 
frown.gif

May 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #186 of 243
Quote:
I concur.  Pretty much everytime I read a list on here that doesn't include atleast one of the Great SNES, or PSX RPGs, I typically assume that that person has simply never played them, or aren't fans of turn based RPGs.

even if you aren't into the battle system, the stories are usually great enough to overcome that IMO

Probably it's the "haven't played them" reason.  I don't like Dragon Quest-style turn based either and don't like random encounters, but
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632517/what-are-your-top-5-rpgs/75#post_8908413

That said, I don't really get what's with Star Ocean 2.  I thought some of the others were better.  IMHO moving Tales of and Star Ocean to 3D (graphically doesn't matter, I'm talking about mechanics) helped out the battles.  On the other hand, I think a lot of adventure and platformer series got cheapened when moving to 3D exploration.

May 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #190 of 243
Quote:
My first taste of rpgs was Chrono Trigger, well... Breath of Fire was first but it didn't resonate with me at first. It wasn't until CT that I got a taste for RPGs. I triedBoF again, and I fell in love. Right after, I rented a little thing called Final Fantasy III (legit VI). For some reason, I thought Final Fantasy VI was like a lower level game than CT. I mean, I ABSOLUTELY loved VI, but I seriously thought it was like a no name game. Sure, it was the "3rd", but I didnt realize that FF was.... FF. XD. My 4th rpg was another little game called Earthbound.

As you can see, my first taste in rpgs came from basically some of the most epic titles ever. Ive been a gamer since rhe Atari days, but I always skipped games that even hinted at being rpgs, other than Zelda. Lol, I have yet to try the SNES Zelda. Lolwut?

Because those were my first true tastes of rpgs, I didnt care for NES rpgs like Zelda. I'm still not a huge fan of Action rpgs, aside from Kingdom Hearts. I've always preferred turn based, or spawns of turn based RPGs. I did like Alundra quite a bit, though I still heavily preferred turn based.

Okay, not completely true. My love for certain action jrpgs started with Tales of Destiny, and then Eternia (aka Destiny II in the US). Then came Star Ocean 2, which I dont care what anyone says, is one of the greatest jrpgs ever.

I think those get a pass, because even though the battle system isnt turn based, they share so much of what I love about typical turn based rpgs.

Quote:

Probably it's the "haven't played them" reason.  I don't like Dragon Quest-style turn based either and don't like random encounters, but
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632517/what-are-your-top-5-rpgs/75#post_8908413

That said, I don't really get what's with Star Ocean 2.  I thought some of the others were better.  IMHO moving Tales of and Star Ocean to 3D (graphically doesn't matter, I'm talking about mechanics) helped out the battles.  On the other hand, I think a lot of adventure and platformer series got cheapened when moving to 3D exploration.

I honestly, if going just from my gut, would put Star Ocean 2 in my top 5. Its just an incredibly fun game that has replay value and a ton of things to do. In fact, I probably need to play it again...Theres also just not enough sci fi rpgs for me. Im incredibly sad Mass Effect is over.

May 6, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #191 of 243
Quote:

I definitely think thats a damn good list. Some thoughts:

1. Forgot how much I liked Seiken Densetsu 3, randomly played it on an emulator earlier in college and its an overlooked gem for sure. 

1. Neverwinter Nights...I wore that game out haha. One of the few D&D based games I could really enjoy, had a blast with my monk. Shame Im so terribly biased to JRPGs, or else a lot more of them would be higher up on my list.

1. Just glad you agree on Xenogears. Will always be my favorite game. Im at the end again on my PSN version and just dont want to finish it, right about to fight Deus. Guess subconsciously I dont ever want it to end haha (except I really do want Disc 2 to end, still bitter)

1. Ive played a little of the older Phantasy Stars, but definitely not enough to be any sort of expert on them. Still some holes in my old school rpg resume haha.

1. I wish I could find more SRPGs I like, Im really only a fan of the Vagrant Hearts/FF Tactics/Ogre Battle type really. Granted I do have the Arc the Lad collection and love those games also. I just know theres a lot out there that Im too lazy to try.

1. I like the obscure RPG recommendation. Id have to sit down and think about it though, I tend to mix them all up.

May 7, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #194 of 243
But the HD remake of BG1 was almost universally panned...

And I now think of a game that should have made it to my top 5: an indie, old-school gem called Avernum 5.  While the graphics won't awe you, I found the story very involving, almost exact opposite of the common "divine power hero saves the world" trope -- you play as a group of soldiers sent underground to track down a fugitive.  Everyone in the underground community treats you like dirt, chattel, or guinea pig, so when someone shows you some kindness, you just feel like melting.  The boss fights are very memorable and creative

May 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #195 of 243
Baldur's Gate I and II
Morrowind
Icewind Dale I and II
Diablo II
Deus Ex (does that count as an rpg?)
Arcanum
Dungeon Siege
FF III (on SNES)

I didn't list only 5 - sue me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back