what are your top 5 RPGs?
Feb 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #151 of 243
Quote:
Yeah i'll give you that as well, But i was a fan of most of the PS1 RPG's it was a good time to be a gamer!
Also Skies of Arcadia was sick to and i had forgotten about it until hearing you say it.
Do you by chance remember the game Evolution on the cast as well?

Hmm, no I actually don't remember that one...I'll have to Google it. I agree, other than the SNES, the PS1 had some of the greatest RPG's of all time. Truly a golden age.

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #152 of 243
Quote:
Dreamcast was such an awesome system...MvC2 is still my all time favorite fighting game just a notch above Mortal Kombat II in the arcade. Skies of Arcadia was also a good RPG for the Dreamcast.

I will defend Chrono Cross...it wasn't amazing, but it wasn't terrible either. It sucked because it really didn't have much to do with Chrono Trigger at all, but as a game it was fun and looked pretty good for it's time.

I for one will go as far as saying Chrono Cross is indeed amazing, and even better than Chrono Trigger.

The brilliance of Chrono Cross lies in it's characters, and how they all intersect, and the multi-layered story is really something I've never seen in a game. Probably one of my favorite things about Cross was seeing how people's lives were different in each world all because of one little event. The game is just filled with these little touches that just stack and stack and stack until you have a completely unique, amazing game.

And while on the surface, it doesn't seem to have much to do with Chrono Trigger, there is so much overlap. Off the top of my head, stuff like:
The Frozen flame being a piece of Lavos
Lucca's Fate machine
Kid being a clone of Schala
A whole web of characters that interacted with the characters from Trigger
Areas in The Dead Sea being alternate universe versions of Trigger areas.
Oodles and oodles of optional dialog discussing Trigger events affecting Cross events

And don't even get me started on the utterly amazing soundtrack!

Ah man, I just might need to dust off my copy...

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #153 of 243
Kukuk: For me.. I guess because I was such a hardcore fanboy of the Chrono Trigger series and the fact that the art came from my favorite anime series (DragonBall, hello Akira Toriyama (sp?)) What I was hoping for was a continuation or something similar to the Trigger line. But as soon as I started playing.. it felt and played almost like a completely different game..180° the opposite direction of what I was looking forward to. Maybe I didn't give Cross a fair shake because of my fanboyism/fanaticism. Oh well. Last RPG I played thorougly was FF XIII.. I didn't like it as much but I still spent 150+ hours getting every achievement possible. Gameplay was meh.. but I did enjoy the cinematics, beautiful sets, and battle mechanics. Boss battles however, were so easy.. such a HUGE disappointment. (Maybe I powered/farmed too much) Anyone have recommendations for some Modern-age rpg's? ********sorry for wall of text, the forum is not registering my indentations or paragraph seperation??********

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #154 of 243
Kukuk, I Will admit that Cross did have one of the biggest character spectrums of any modern RPG, But Trigger was just so simple 
and done so well there pretty much like 2 completely different games.

And Roch and i am not sure man you seem like an old school RPG lover like myself and while i will admit i really love
and have played the hell out of the Mass Effect and Star Wars old republic series.... in the way of old school Sqaure RPG's
and just SNES,PS1,Dreamcast RPG's they just dont seem to make them like that anymore man it is kind of sad.

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #155 of 243
Bender: I admit.. as far as jrpg gaming goes.. I am a bit of a traditionalist.. I didn't even want to play (and have YET to play) FF VII... because that's when they brought in the 3d polygons which were radical at the time.. but not of my flavor I just love those old school 2d-like animated sprites though. But I did grow accustomed to the change.. and I hated myself for enjoying FF XIII haha.. I'ma buy FFVII on the PSN since I am sure that I'm doing a disservice to JRPGs by not playing it. Mass Effect eh..? I've heard and seen good things.. but it looks more like a shooter than a rpg? If you say it's worth a look (I'll probably get the ME collection with 1-3) The last rpg-ish(action rpg?) game I played was Ultimate Alliance 2.. too much shooting (cod/halo) and fighting (sfiv/umvc3) lately.. need to get lost in the story again.

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #156 of 243
Quote:

I for one will go as far as saying Chrono Cross is indeed amazing, and even better than Chrono Trigger.

The brilliance of Chrono Cross lies in it's characters, and how they all intersect, and the multi-layered story is really something I've never seen in a game. Probably one of my favorite things about Cross was seeing how people's lives were different in each world all because of one little event. The game is just filled with these little touches that just stack and stack and stack until you have a completely unique, amazing game.

And while on the surface, it doesn't seem to have much to do with Chrono Trigger, there is so much overlap. Off the top of my head, stuff like:

Wow, you have MUCH fonder memories of Chrono Cross than me. It's been a while, honestly I've forgotten much of the game. I rate my favorite games depending on how much of them I remember. I vividly remember FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears....Chrono Cross, not so much.

Maybe I'll go back and play though it again someday....I'll stream it to my PS4 :wink:

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #157 of 243
Quote:
Hmm, no I actually don't remember that one...I'll have to Google it. I agree, other than the SNES, the PS1 had some of the greatest RPG's of all time. Truly a golden age.

Skies of Arcadia was Dreamcast and then ported (with some changes, additions, as is usual) to Gamecube, so it's not so much of a surprise if you're talking PS1 or Sony consoles.  If your preferred means of non-town, non-dungeon, non-battle interaction with an RPG is flying around a big overworld, it's the game for you (sky pirates gotta fly through skies, after all).  It's decent, but I wouldn't really say too much other than that.  

Quote:
Bender: I admit.. as far as jrpg gaming goes.. I am a bit of a traditionalist.. I didn't even want to play (and have YET to play) FF VII... because that's when they brought in the 3d polygons which were radical at the time.. but not of my flavor I just love those old school 2d-like animated sprites though. But I did grow accustomed to the change.. and I hated myself for enjoying FF XIII haha.. I'ma buy FFVII on the PSN since I am sure that I'm doing a disservice to JRPGs by not playing it. Mass Effect eh..? I've heard and seen good things.. but it looks more like a shooter than a rpg? If you say it's worth a look (I'll probably get the ME collection with 1-3) The last rpg-ish(action rpg?) game I played was Ultimate Alliance 2.. too much shooting (cod/halo) and fighting (sfiv/umvc3) lately.. need to get lost in the story again.

I don't think skipping FF7 is a disservice.  Rather, a service to yourself (unless you've really been through all sorts of other titles first), unless you just want to do it for completion's sake, for a reference point with other people.  It's just the first big mainstream JRPG with 3D graphics, that also happened to have a lot of plot thrown in.  Actually, if you just want to see early 3D polygons in JRPGs, Wild Arms has 3D-rendered graphics for battles (but not characters outside of battle), and that was before FF7.  As for Mass Effect, "shooter" maybe implies requiring more skill, so that's not the way to think of it, in that respect (from what I've heard and seen: I didn't play it myself).

Quote:
Wow, you have MUCH fonder memories of Chrono Cross than me. It's been a while, honestly I've forgotten much of the game. I rate my favorite games depending on how much of them I remember. I vividly remember FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears....Chrono Cross, not so much.

Maybe I'll go back and play though it again someday....I'll stream it to my PS4 :wink:

I think memorability may not be the best metric to use.  In fact, since Xenogears was mentioned, now that's a game with a lot of memorable parts (in a bad way).  I'd say there were a lot of different strong pros and cons with that game.

But likewise, I don't remember much about Chrono Cross, just a few parts.

Anyway, just an IMHO, but you might as well try something different rather than replay something (or play for the first time) just because it happened to be popular.

Anybody notice how Mistwalker and Monolith Soft games don't get nearly as much attention as the games those groups made while working at Square / Square Enix?  I haven't exactly tried many of these, but is the quality really down, or is it just the label?  Maybe more so for Mistwalker (headed by Sakagachi, who directed FF 1-5; put out Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, etc.).  Monolith Soft has key staff from Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Chrono Trigger (somewhat), though I guess Xenosaga and particularly Xenoblade Chronicles have done okay by popular consciousness.  Well, they also did Baten Kaitos, but that was co-developed, with the key guts designed by Tri-Crescendo.

Mar 2, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #158 of 243
Quote:

The Frozen flame being a piece of Lavos
Lucca's Fate machine
Kid being a clone of Schala
A whole web of characters that interacted with the characters from Trigger
Areas in The Dead Sea being alternate universe versions of Trigger areas.
Oodles and oodles of optional dialog discussing Trigger events affecting Cross events

I loved chrono cross.  one of my favorite games ever.

IMO the best soundtrack ever

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #159 of 243
Quote:

I think memorability may not be the best metric to use.  In fact, since Xenogears was mentioned, now that's a game with a lot of memorable parts (in a bad way).  I'd say there were a lot of different strong pros and cons with that game.  

I disagree. The bad memorable part was only the express gameplay it had on disc 2 and a few blips, the rest of it is magnificent. The storyline was good although the concept was controversial and I enjoyed playing through the game.

Chrono Cross is also a good game IMO and SquareSOFT (not Enix) really stand out during that time as a front runner in making JRPG games.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:24 AM Post #163 of 243
I really liked Chrono Cross, but not as a sequel to Trigger. As its own game, yes. But it failed to feel like it was related to Trigger, despite plot points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back