what are your top 5 RPGs?
Jan 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #108 of 243
Almost brings a tear to my eye to see all the Vagrant Story love 
frown.gif
Such a good game have been replaying it on my new Vita!

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #111 of 243
Daggerfall
Skyrim
Might And Magic 7
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas

Been playing rpgs since 1990 on my Commodore Amiga 500 then the pc and was always into how realistic it could evolve to be. So i usually played first person perspective rpgs which seem to always have the right formula with everything they did. Strategy and simulators are also fun but dont seem to have that completeness of illusion.

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #112 of 243
Oh man, this is a tough one. I'll give it a shot:

5. Fallout II (1998)
4. The UnReal World (1992-present)
3. Darklands (1992)
2. Ragnarok/Valhalla (1992-1995)
1. Planescape: Torment (1999)

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #114 of 243
1. Ragnarok Online
2. Xenosaga III
3. Skyrim
4. Mass Effect III
5. Diablo III

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #116 of 243
Quote:
1 Fallout 3
2 Fallout New Vegas
3 Borderlands 2
I heard Diablo 3 is pretty good.

I'm FPS and strategy gamer
smily_headphones1.gif

Diablo III was really good, though I got bored with it much quicker than I did Diablo II. Probably won't mess with the expansions this time around.

Jan 21, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #118 of 243
I played Dialbo II for *years--* I think I can safely say III won't have anywhere near that sort of longevity for me. Don't know if it's because I didn't enjoy it as much as II or if it's just because I'm a different person. I'll keep it on my hard drive though, just in case the bug bites me sometime in the future.

Also, I know I already listed my five favorite RPGs, but I wanted to make special note of my favorite MMORPG of all-time: Final Fantasy XI. I stopped playing it two or three years back because I no longer had the time for it (though I'm considering starting completely anew on it--so much new content since I've stopped playing!) It's got a very small following compared to many of the other big-name MMOs out there, and in a lot of respects it has not aged very well at all (which one can blame at least partially on the fact that all new expansions and updates still were required to work on the PS2--which yes, a lot of people still played the game on), but it had the best community of any online game I've ever played, and the amount of content in the game is simply staggering. I'm fairly certain that no other MMO out there has such a diverse range of activities for players to participate in (especially once you move into the endgame), and while a lot of these activities are fairly complex (maybe even clunky) they encourage teamwork and planning in ways I've never seen another MMO approach. The game had its fair share of problems (so much grinding @.@), but it was a genuinely difficult, genuinely vast game that you could play for years and still never experience everything the game has to offer. Even after several years of playing it I was still experiencing new areas and content for the first time, and was still learning the ropes with new jobs (classes). When I left it the game was sort of going through a crisis of sorts--there weren't a whole lot of new players anymore, which means that the developers had to restructure some elements of the leveling system in order to make it possible for players to continue to level up new jobs--soloing in the game is extremely difficult. So new mechanics were added to make soloing or playing with smaller groups of players easier, as well as allowing high level characters to 'sync' their level down to low-level characters and still earn experience toward their level by helping low-levels progress. I don't know what sort of state the game is in now, but with a major expansion coming out in a couple of months, it can't be too bad!

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #120 of 243
1) FFVIII (the first rpg I ever played)
2) Arcanum (dunno why its not the best game ever but its just stuck in my head for some reason)
3) Neverwinter Nights (my first introduction to modding)
4) Mass Effect Trilogy (despite the weak ending it was a fantastic journey)
5) Skyrim (the most hours I've spent in a non-competitive game)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back