What are your thought on inifinity speakers?
Oct 9, 2003 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

zbuddah

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I might be able to get myself a very nice deal on infinity speakers. I am thinking along the lines of the Kappa series for my music/HT system. Maybe along the lines of the Kappa 600 towers for my two fronts and bookshelfs for the back. I don't hear alot of talk about inifinity speakers so I am not quite sure if these are any good. I was hoping for a very very nice music system that will pull double duty for HT. I know the best way to find out is to listen, but i would like your opinions on inifinitys and thier C.M.M.D. tech and how you think they sound.

Oct 9, 2003 at 8:52 AM Post #4 of 14
The Kappa series should be OK, Infinity makes some really nice speakers (Intermezzo series) and some really bad ones (Entra series, sound really bright). Just be sure to listen around first before you plunk down the cash.

Oct 9, 2003 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 14
Like a number of other company's, Infinity make some world class speakers (Prelude MTS) right down to affordable bookshelfs.

I personally use an Infinity Alpha Sub/Sat system, 5.1, for my movies. this suits my budget and space (I live in a dorm like room right now, so space is tight.)

I find the 2-way satellites are quite good considering the price, and they utilise the CMMD midrange driver, and the soft dome tweeter isn't overly bright. Voices are very natural, especially compared to some other offerings around the same price from Boston and Tannoy

The sub isn't up to the quality of the sat's, and can exhibit a lack of real extension and punch in the lower range, but this is usually only evident in BIIIIIIIIG explosions....

Overall, I'm quite happy with them for now, especially in terms of bang for buck, which was what i was after in buying them. these only serve as movie/HT speakers now, as my B&W's perform music duties. Until I buy a M&K sub/sat setup around mid next year, I'm more than pleased with their performance...

Depending on what you want to spend, I think Infinity has a speaker to match all budgets... However, check other offerings like the 300/600 series from B&W or Q series from KEF... I'm sure there's other brands local to the US that fit around this area...

Hope this helps..

Oct 9, 2003 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Kirium
Infinity make some world class speakers (Prelude MTS)

That's true. I heard them some time ago, and I am still impressed. Nice slim silhouette, too, and you can tune the bass according to the room you're using them in. I would recommend getting the MTS.

Oct 9, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 14
I've heard my friend's Kappa 8's . He loves them and I think they sound good as well but it also depends on how much you pay for them.

I hope you have alot of room. They are quite large.

Oct 9, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 14
Cool thanks guys, the thing is that i haven't really seen big retail stores around there that carry any high end infinitys...

As for price i don't remember exactly what i can get them for but if you think the MTS tower is truely a good speaker then i will look around the bay area and try to find a place to demo or to take a look at if not then i just might jump on the Kappa 600. I'll try and find out the price by this weekend.

Thinking about a good budget svs sub to pair with the infinitys do you think they will play nicely with each other? Any more opinions or thoughts would be great!

Oct 9, 2003 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 14
You are not going to find the Infinity Prelude MTS in any "big retail stores". The Prelude MTS goes for something like US$8,000/pair, if not more, so I doubt Circuit City (the local Infinity dealer in the Bay Area) will be carrying those. The Prelude MTS are listed in Stereophile magazine's "A List" Recommended Components and is considered a bargain even at its lofty asking price.

You may have to check with Infinity themselves to get a dealer list for these speakers. The Prelude MTS and the Kappa are different animals.

Oct 10, 2003 at 6:28 AM Post #11 of 14
ok seems I can only get the prelude MTS tower speaker alone with no attached subwoofer. The Kappa 600's I can get for around 1200 a pair and the MTS i can get for around 2600-2700 a pair which is really pushing it. I noticed that the Kappa's and the MTS have side firing subwoofers, now I'm thinking wouldn't that kind of thing have some sort of adverse affect on the sound if they were firing into the wall of into each other?

I should not have a problem with the height of these speakers since they are a little over 3 feet tall. The family room I think is pretty large as it opens up to the kitchen and to the rest of the lower floor.

I might be able to go to sound city as there is one around milpitas I think but I'm house sitting for the rest of the weekend. I've been there only once but I remember they carried or had some Kef's there also hopefully I'll get a listen in.

Oct 10, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 14
Hi have not listened to any of the newer speakers, I bought all mine before 2000, but I have a complete Infinity setup (except sub) and I love it.

Infinity Overture 2s for my mains, Infinity CC3 center channel, Infinity RS-2s for my side surrounds....for the center surrounds for 6.1 and 7.1 I am using my old pair of Infinity Infintessinal Micros.

Oct 11, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #14 of 14
I have a pair of early 80's RS-7s in need of refoaming (only the woofers). I wouldn't be looking for much over shipping if you are interested. Let me know it pains me to see kit go to waste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back