What are your source components?
Aug 30, 2016 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Saeglopur

Head-Fier
I have 99% of my music on my phone/ipod and use Spotify to stream a lot of it. I do have it on my computer but its a bit far from where my audio stuff is so unless i stretch a USB cable across the room I can't easily use my computer as my source. Since my dac uses a USB B connection I can't really use my phone since its only got the USB A end.
What solutions if any do you guys have for this?
I've seen a couple Lightening to USB B cables but I'm a bit hesitant since there's only a couple listed anywhere.
Should I just invest in a laptop for my audio set up?

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 10
  I have 99% of my music on my phone/ipod and use Spotify to stream a lot of it. I do have it on my computer but its a bit far from where my audio stuff is so unless i stretch a USB cable across the room I can't easily use my computer as my source. Since my dac uses a USB B connection I can't really use my phone since its only got the USB A end.
What solutions if any do you guys have for this?
I've seen a couple Lightening to USB B cables but I'm a bit hesitant since there's only a couple listed anywhere.
Should I just invest in a laptop for my audio set up?

That's because you need adapters. 

iOS needs Lightning to USB-A
Old iOS 30-pin and USB OTG for Android

Samsung Galaxy Note3, Pangea HP101, HD600

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 10

So if i grab a Lightning to USB A and go from that to my dac with my a to b cable I'll be good?

There are other considerations. The USB DAC's power draw might be too much for the host smart device, or the USB receiver needs a specific driver that iOS or Android (or the apps you're using) do not have. For the most part though iPhone5S and running iOS7 and newer only need to worry about the power draw and high res file compatibility.

For more info, look it up here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad/900

Or just get a device that is already known to work with your iPhone - either confirmed in that list or it's advertised as such, like the Ibasso D-Zero Mk2 in the photo above.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #5 of 10

There are other considerations. The USB DAC's power draw might be too much for the host smart device, or the USB receiver needs a specific driver that iOS or Android (or the apps you're using) do not have. For the most part though iPhone5S and running iOS7 and newer only need to worry about the power draw and high res file compatibility.

For more info, look it up here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad/900

Or just get a device that is already known to work with your iPhone - either confirmed in that list or it's advertised as such, like the Ibasso D-Zero Mk2 in the photo above.

Oh ok, I'll probably be better off investing in a computer since its going to be my home setup anyway. I have a portable amp/dac right now that it works with but theres a USB A slot for ipod on it 

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeglopur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh ok, I'll probably be better off investing in a computer since its going to be my home setup anyway.

That depends on how much you'll spend on that computer. Also, the input devices. One thing they do now is program a Mac Mini or any Android MiniPC to use a smartphone or tablet as the peripheral and display. A few here picked up thir Mac Minis cheap used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeglopur /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a portable amp/dac right now that it works with but theres a USB A slot for ipod on it 

If you already have this then why not just keep using this one? If it has a line out then you can hook that up to a more powerful amp, in case you need one for whatever headphone you're planning to get.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #7 of 10

That depends on how much you'll spend on that computer. Also, the input devices. One thing they do now is program a Mac Mini or any Android MiniPC to use a smartphone or tablet as the peripheral and display. A few here picked up thir Mac Minis cheap used.

If you already have this then why not just keep using this one? If it has a line out then you can hook that up to a more powerful amp, in case you need one for whatever headphone you're planning to get.

Good point, not sure why I spaced on that. 
I do eventually plan on getting an endgame setup (Schiit Ragnarok and Yggy) but that wont be too soon 

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #8 of 10

I have a hifi M8 so it looks like i need to use the "combo" 3/8"/Optical output but the amp i'll be using only has USB B input

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 10
Analogous:

VPI Scout Turntable

Clearaudio Aurum Classic Phonograph Cartridge

PS•1 Phono Preamplifier and HC•1b Dual Mono Power Supply by Monolithic

Digitizes:

Rega Planet Compact Disk Player (Transport Only)

DACMagic Plus by Cambridge Audio Upsampling Digital Audio Converter

Apple iPod Touch 5th Generation

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 3G (Wolfson WM-1811)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back