What are your ripping habits for new CDs?
Apr 25, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #17 of 24
1. Yes, I rip every CD that I buy. I have not gone back ripping all my older CD's though, just those I listen to from time to time. Cause as you say its rather time consuming..

2. The variation in ripping time is mostly linked to the condition of the CD. If the CD it scratched or like it will be harder to read, and hence the ripper engine need to struggle more to get the bits out. Aka longer ripping time.

3. I doubt it. Cause I am 99% its the ripping speed which is slowing you down, not encoding. Ripping is not much CPU-intensive.
A different CD drive may speed up ripping though, as there are differences between them.

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Accuraterip gives me confidence that I've got a good rip (as long as the CD is in the database).

I agree that AccurateRip is hugely important, and probably overall the best indiction that a rip has been successful or not. Unfortunately, it seems that the AR database doesn't get updated as often as it used to. For some reason, I can't even submit my own results to the database with EAC anymore (some error message tells me that no supported files have been selected). Then, on my Mac, XLD manages to verify rips against the AR database, but there is no mechanism to submit results to the database. Just the other day, I ripped U2's No Line on the Horizon and to my shock, the disc was not present in the AR database (ripped the CD with EAC as well as with XLD and separate computers, and the WAV files from the rips were identical). How could this CD possibly not be in the AR database??

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #19 of 24
I have not had any problems or errors submitting or receiving Accuraterip info. Is it possible that your IP range has somehow eneded up on a block list or that your ISP is filtering? My ISP filters and sends me through a proxy which can break some HTTP requests. For example, I can't use the FreeDB lookup in EAC unless I configure EAC to go through a local proxy that bypasses the ISP filtering.

I would expect the U2 disc to be in Accuraterip unless the Accuraterip database hasn't been updated in the past two months. This post over at the Accuraterip support forum mentions what may be going on. The database had grown too big and there were concerns about corruption so the database hasn't been updated since Feb 2009.

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #20 of 24
I recently finished ripping all my cd's (around 1000) to flac. I used DBPoweramp, which was much easier to configure then EAC and is (in my opinion) just as accurate as EAC. I ripped everything, since I knew un-ripped would end up as unused. I love to use random play and just let the tunes run all the time. Never knowing what will play next leads to some very interesting song pairings and keeps the music fresh and interesting.

Edit- All in all, I am really glad I spent the time to rip all my music and not just favorites. It is worth it for the easy access.

Apr 26, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rip every CD I buy. I use iTunes --> ALAC.

That is my method and it does take a lot of time. I have ripped over 1000 CDs and have plenty to go. I am in no rush. This is my hobby and not my job. I still have a great CD player so I can play anything at anytime. Usually after I play a disc with the CD player, I rip it and thus I will not miss any. The speed of the rip is variable depending on such factors as the file size (songs of the same playing length are almost always of different sizes), the condition of the disc, the memory available when ripping, etc.

Enjoy the process, it yields great benefits in a number of ways. It encourages you to go through your CD collection. If you do not want to listen to the CD, you have no reason to keep it so that you can sell or trade it and get something you want. I love the used record store for this very reason.

Apr 26, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #22 of 24
Every CD I buy I generally go through the same process:
1) Begin ripping the first CD to FLAC with EAC.
2) Once the first song is done ripping (usually very quickly) I start listening to that song in foobar while the others rip.
3) Finish ripping the first cd, still have to listen to quite a bit of it. At the end of the current song I pop in the next (if any) CD and start ripping it. If this is the case I start listening to that one typically right after I finish the first one (unless I have more cds than time)

I continue those steps until all my cds are ripped/listened (again, if I have the time to listen to them all). Once all cds are ripped I convert them all from FLAC to MP3 (It takes about 32 seconds to convert a 60min cd, so I can generally get all the cds converted before the song changes).

After listening I put some of the tracks on my mp3 player. It's only 4gb so I can't really hold everything, but it hasn't really bothered me yet.

Every time I get a cd(s) I do that, and it seems to work pretty well.

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #23 of 24
I'm glad that there are so many others who are still buying CDs like me. I love the visceral feel of holding a CD jewel case and looking at the art booklet, but at the same time, I love the convenience of having all my FLACs in Winamp and many of my MP3s in my iPhone.

I would like to ask if any of you have high-end (or medium-end) CD setups with a nice player, DAC, and amp? I occasionally listen to my CDs through an old DVD player hooked up to an old Sony stereo A/V amp which in turn drive old PSB speakers.

Do you prefer listening to your physical CDs or through your computer?

Apr 27, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #24 of 24
buy CD, insert, press rip (using XLD), listen (using iTunes). sometimes I need to add cover art (using google images).

Don't have a dedicated CD rig, and don't plan on getting any (yet? an SA7001KI to match my amp would be nice visually, but I'm just not that confident that it would be an improvement soundwise).
I do buy the CD's, but I actually only rip them once and put them on a shelve, never to use again (untill hardware failure probably)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back