What are your player settings?
Jan 23, 2011 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ROBSCIX

Headphoneus Supremus
Since many around here use Foobar or other players.  What settings do you prefer in your player, such as your output plugins, EQ(is used)..resamplers any DSP...etc?
How do you get the sound that you enjoy?
I figured it would make a great conversation to see what everybody is using and it might help with those new to foobar or other players.  If you use another player, just list what player you are using and other paramters.

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 6
foobar2000 - output is through directsound and no equalizers, plugins, etc. enabled

xmplay - output is through directsound and no equalizers, plugins, etc. enabled

Man I'm boring. 
beyersmile.png
  But why mess with lossless audio that's already as good as it gets?

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 6
My foobar2000 config that's configured to work well with any song I play. I use my soundcard's EQ to adjust as needed for the headphones themselves, the foobar2000 EQ was adjusted for best possible detail/clarity similar to not using dolby headphone (I actually compared it with winamp quickly switching between the two to get a similar amount of clarity & detail) as the dolby headphone plugin alters the frequencies a bit (big boost to the lows which masks details). Every setting's been adjusted for a long long time one by one to determine in my ears the best possible result. I'm using kX Audio drivers for an Audigy 2 ZS card and the drivers already adds some slight width/soundstage by a pseudo surround effect though. The mixture of the drivers and these foobar2000 settings is like magic though and using any other player now sounds so bad/boring in comparision, the music surely comes to life with the foobar2000 config.

Makes it sound like you're listening to a concert when listening studio edited songs with much more depth and bigger soundstage and more dynamicness but not overly done. It changed my lifestyle, I can't cope a day without my daily dose of music. :)

Jan 26, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 6
foobar2000:
Use replaygain with foobar default settings, looking to use EBU R128, that is just released http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_r128scan later
Use Sox resampler with foo_vst and HDHPX crossfeed

As my DAC only supports 32, 44.1 and 48KHz. I set up two Sox mod2 resamplers, one downsampler x2 for 88.2 and 96KHz and another downsampler x4 for 176.4 and 192KHz. Reason: Sox resampler works faster if the target sample rate is even multiple of original sample rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back