What are your laptop core temps? advice please.
Sep 24, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #16 of 40
F98UCHWR0TEV2Z4CDB.MEDIUM.jpg

I just use a cake pan with about half inch of water in the bottom
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #17 of 40
Letting the laptop breath could help. Get a laptop stand so more air flows under the vents.

One good thing about my aluminum MacBook Pro is that the whole case acts like a heat sink. It also makes it extremely hot sometimes. And I mean burning hot!! It felt like my lap got scorched once when it was on bare skin under full cpu load.

Mine averages about 52C maxing at about 70C IIRC. What I worry about most is the hard drive temps. Each degree shortens the lifespan by a considerable amount. –I forget the exact figures..

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #18 of 40
my old HP laptop would get so hot that it would shut down, the problem was dust and poor circulation to the fan that was on the bottom.. I ended up getting a macbook pro and life is easier

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just save yourself any trouble and put some AS5 on the core. THat should cool it down, but do be aware of how you should apply the paste and make sure no air bubbles get in.

I read it as ASS - I found out that sticking my buttcheeeks on the fans gave me a rash, also on the computer as well.
frown.gif

so the saga continues...

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #22 of 40
Dell has had an issue with the BIOS causing overheating in a lot of their laptops...I think especially on those with Nvidia graphics cards. Anyway, I flashed my BIOS about a month ago, because my Dell 1420 has always been really hot like temps you were describing.

Last week the motherboard fried out dramatically. Dell sent a box. I'll find out the business tomorrow...

So...check the Dell site for a BIOS upgrade, and do take this issue seriously.

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dell has had an issue with the BIOS causing overheating in a lot of their laptops...I think especially on those with Nvidia graphics cards. Anyway, I flashed my BIOS about a month ago, because my Dell 1420 has always been really hot like temps you were describing.

Last week the motherboard fried out dramatically. Dell sent a box. I'll find out the business tomorrow...

So...check the Dell site for a BIOS upgrade, and do take this issue seriously.

yup - I re-flashed my BIOS with upgrades when I re-formatted my comp about 3 months ago. So that couldn't be the issue.

Sep 25, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #24 of 40
My EEEPC runs about 65-67C if I don't underclock it or prop up the back, and I thought that was ridiculously hot.
Heck, the keyboard and hand rest are even nice and toasty warm.
EDIT: Of course, it still doesn't beat the 144C it shows due to a Linux kernel bug.

Sep 25, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read it as ASS - I found out that sticking my buttcheeeks on the fans gave me a rash, also on the computer as well.
frown.gif

so the saga continues...

Something told me me you'd read it as that. Reminds me of this one thread on OCN, where some guy somehow swallowed some AS5, and then one reply went like: "Never do AS5 to mouth."
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #26 of 40
Mine (a santa rosa mbp, 1st gen) idles at 48C, with the fans pretty low, and after cranking at full load for 10 minutes or so hits 80C, but I rarely if ever let it get that hot.

You should install notebook hardware control and see what multipliers and such are being applied when you plug in, that could have an effect on your idle temps. Other than that, if you're feeling brave, clean it out, I have seen it do wonders before!

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #27 of 40
my older pentium m would peak around 90+ degrees celcius on the cpu under full load. The cpu and gpu shared a heatpipe.

Generally it isn't anything to worry about but reseating the heatsink and adding a very thin amount of new thermal paste is good to do if you get the chance.
Laptop cpus do get hot to near their burn threshold temperatures under load. If it gets hotter than is safe it would turn itself off (well, just turn off
tongue_smile.gif
) and I don't think it would do it any harm, but that shouldn't happen anyway.
50+C idling is what mine has always done and is not bad at all. They are designed to not run at the same temperatures as desktops so all is well I think
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #28 of 40
okay, I basically cleaned my comp off all the dust (I think) and checked for heatsink - and no problems there.

One weird observation was that there was a small cotton-ball stuck in the middle so I removed that.

I checked for temperture now- and it's showing minor improment of 3-5C or so.

I guess this lappy runs hot
wink.gif

thanks everyone!

Sep 25, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #29 of 40
Mine usually run about 60°C, spiking upwards to 80-85°C on heavy load.
A MacBook Pro, powered by a C2D 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM and a 7200rpm HDD.

Sep 25, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #30 of 40
You should worry too much actually. I worried about the temperature of my yonah core as well when I first got it so I did some research.

There are several sensors measuring the temperature of the core. Some programs will use the sensors which are placed directly on the core while others use sensors which are placed a little further away. I installed several programs to check this and my I got different results from Rightmark, Everest, Intels testing tools and speedfan. Some programs will show you a temperature of 50 while others will show you 70. It's not that your core 20 degrees hotter all of a sudden.

I must say that 85-90 degrees is still awfully hot even when under full load for a long time. What you can do about this is undervolt the processor. Undervolting is something which I can not recommend if you don't really know what you are doing since it can make your computer very unstable. (even not working at all)

Here is a link to a program with which you can undervolt a processor:
RMClock Utility. Products. CPU Rightmark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back