What are your favourite headphones that DON'T need amping?
Sep 20, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 9
  Or could just be run out of a DAC without a seperate amp.

There are only a few DACs that can drive headphones directly, without having a separate amp section inside, and they tend to be expensive. What you're thinking about are DAC/amps, which do have a separate amp section and are fairly common.

Some DAC/amps are very powerful too, so you'd need to be more specific with what you're asking about in this context. Perhaps narrowing down to a budget for the headphones and DAC/amp combined would get you more helpful answers.

I guess my favorite headphone that doesn't *need* an amp would be the Yamaha HPH-MT220. But I always use amps.

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 9
My favorite headphone that doesn't need extreme amplification is the Phillips Fidelio X2. But strangely, my AKG Q701 loves amplification, yet it still sounds nice driven by my old Galaxy S3.

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 9
Hifiman Edition S or the Philips Fidelio X2

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:45 PM Post #6 of 9
HE-400S.

Sep 20, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 9
Beyerdynamic T5p 2 
L3000.gif

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #9 of 9
  Or could just be run out of a DAC without a seperate amp.

If you mean a DAC with a headphone amp section built it into it the size of a small stack of gift cards, like the Ibasso D-Zero, there are literally dozens of headphones that benefit well enough from such a DAC over, say, a smartphone or tablet.

If I had to pick any favorites though then it would have to be the Grado RS-1 and SR325, and Focal Spirit Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back