What are your 5 favorite guitar solo's ?
Jun 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #76 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by falis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool. Will of course check it out. My 25 yo daughter is a RT fanatic thanks to my bad influence. Last few years he's been doing a solo show up here on the north shore of Mass almost every year, which is great. But I want to see him electric, which I haven't done live yet despite being a fan-boy since '69 (Missed the show at Berklee a couple of years back).

You might like this recording of one of them. The guy who warmed up for him was really good, but as soon as RT hit the stage, you knew you were in the presence of greatness. mvyradio Player

- Ed

Hey Ed.

That's not being a bad influence on your daughter, that's quality parenting skills. Good to to get RT some younger fans.

Nice link to the Lowell show. I got through about half of it so far. I just saw RT solo acoustic Friday 6/12 in Kent (Ohio, not England). Excellent show as usual. Set was very similar to Lowell. His voice was in better shape than the last 3-4 times I've seen him. I finally got to see him eletric last year at the HOB in Cleveland. Great rocking show.

Can't say I've been a fan since '69. I caught on with Shoot Out the Lights in '82 which blew me away. If you want to continue the conversation feel free to PM me. Or we can just hijack this thread. Always glad to find another RT fan. There aren't enough of us.

RT's web site shows he's coming to Cambridge and Northampton with Loudon Wainright III in Oct. '09

This is an interview/studio performance on WNYC from 2005. Click "Listen to the whole show". Please note that it's Real Player and slow to load.

Gregg

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #77 of 94
er, this is off topic, but can someone please change the topic title and remove the apostrophe? it just grates
frown.gif

check out Neal Schon's solo albums, especially Beyond The Thunder

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Jun 22, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #78 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
er, this is off topic, but can someone please change the topic title and remove the apostrophe? it just grates
frown.gif

I'm glad I'm not the only grammar freak around here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
check out Neal Schon's solo albums, especially Beyond The Thunder

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Seconded. Neal Schon is a phenomenal guitarist.

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #79 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoever the guy is who solos on Steely Dan's "Peg"…name escapes me right now.

I never focused on this before. According to Wikipedia, it was Jay Graydon, an LA session guy and producer. I've got to pull that one off the shelf and give it listen now that I know that this is maybe the man's finest recorded moment.

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #83 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never focused on this before. According to Wikipedia, it was Jay Graydon, an LA session guy and producer. I've got to pull that one off the shelf and give it listen now that I know that this is maybe the man's finest recorded moment.

Thanx. Bust this:

YouTube - Steely Dan - The Making Of Peg

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #85 of 94
Quote:

Thanx. Bust this:

YouTube - Steely Dan - The Making Of Peg

That was interesting. Thanks for the link.

It's funny how I take some of these classic songs for granted Its nice to see how much went into making it unique which is part of what made it a classic.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #86 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by priest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was totally awesome. I kept hoping for some footage of Graydon playing that solo though.

That would've been cool, but it was interesting to hear a couple of the other solos (by different session guitarists) that were s'posed to fit that slot. The others are a bit snazzy, then you hear Graydon's twang bar, and you're like, "Of course…that's obviously the keeper."

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #87 of 94
Quote:

That would've been cool, but it was interesting to hear a couple of the other solos (by different session guitarists) that were s'posed to fit that slot. The others are a bit snazzy, then you hear Graydon's twang bar, and you're like, "Of course…that's obviously the keeper."

Right on. That's what I was thinking: Thank god they didn't settle for those snazzy (perfect word) solos.

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #89 of 94
Here's a few but there are many others:

Al Di Meola - Race With Devil On Spanish Highway
Chris Impellitteri - Somewhere Over The Rainbow
FunTwo - Canon
Allman Brothers Band - In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed
UFO - Rock Bottom
Ted Nugent - Stranglehold

Jun 25, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #90 of 94
Monte Montgomery "Romeo and Juliet"
Stevie Ray Vaughan "Voodoo Chilie"
Kenny Wayne Shepherd "While we cry"
Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing" (version on Alchemy album)
Jeff Beck "People Get Ready" (from Rod Stewart's Storyteller Anthology album)

Not in any particular order

Users who are viewing this thread

Back