What Are You Listening To Right Now? [#5]
May 7, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #50 of 9,280
Patty Larkin - The Cranes / Red = Luck

My wife and I had the great fortune to see this amazing musician with 50 or so other people at the old Mauch Chunck Opera House in Jim Thorpe, PA last night. What a fantastic performance!! I've been a fan of hers since the early '90s and this was the first opportunity I've had to see her play. Like all great shows I've ever seen it left me wanting more.

Patty is an absolutely phenomenal guitarist and singer/songwriter. She's got a wacky sense of humor too. If you appreciate great music for it's own sake then I totally recommend that you check her out:

http://www.pattylarkin.com/

May 7, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #52 of 9,280
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
^ How is "Amber"? Thinkin' 'bout pickin' that one up...

"Amber" is OK. Nothing really special...I haven't listened to it much because it didn't do much for me on first impression. My buying pace has slowed down a bit lately so I'm revisiting recent purchases. Maybe it will grow on me. More new music coming this week though...

"Like Foxes Through Fences" - The American Analog Set

May 7, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #58 of 9,280
Youssou N'Dour - Nothing's in vain
->Doole

with no headphones for now...
eek.gif

May 7, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #60 of 9,280
Old Canes - Early Morning Hymns
Folk-rock side-project of the lead guy from the Appleseed Cast, Chris Crisci. And very good folk-rock that comes out sounding a bit more like something from Neutral Milk Hotel's classic In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, except with the warmer and less abrasive voice of Crisci telling the stories. Maybe NMH mixed with Califone, which I guess is also kinda like the Fruitbats. But really a fine album with nods to bluegrass and folk and avant-pop and many other music forms, that comes off as refreshingly unique and hard to describe. Been realy enjoying the new Appleseed Cast Perigrine for the last few weeks, but alwasy a treat to pull out this one. One of my favorites of the last few years. Believe the customer reviews at amazon, because sometimes the critics just don't seem to get it
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back