What Are You Listening To Right Now? [#5]
Oct 22, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #6,691 of 9,280
Matt Costa - The Ballard of Miss Kate

Oct 22, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #6,694 of 9,280
Andre Rieu - Tuscany

The Violet Indiana CD was depressing me.
redface.gif

Oct 22, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #6,696 of 9,280
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Hey, how is the new one? Can't rememeber, do you go back very far with Will? Slint? Palace? Palace Brothers? Viva Last Blues has always been my favorite, but I've always been partial to those old Steve Albini recordings too. Probably be getting this one myself. Johnny Cash did a nice version of his "I See A Darkness", but the original is the one that always does it for me. One of the most affecting songs I've heard, ever. On second thought, maybe that is my favorite.

I don't go very far back with bonnie 'prince' Will Oldham. I have "Spiderland" [I didn't even realize that Will Oldham was associated with Slint!...] and "I See A Darkness." "The Letting Go" doesn't really sound like either of those efforts. (...at least to my ear) "The Letting Go" is very pretty in comparison to "I See A Darkness." Female vocals are evident throughout. I have only listened to "The Letting Go" once. His new album has its moments, but at this point, I think I prefer Oldham's darker side.

Oct 22, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #6,703 of 9,280
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
I don't go very far back with bonnie 'prince' Will Oldham. I have "Spiderland" [I didn't even realize that Will Oldham was associated with Slint!...]

Hehehe, yea I just mentioned Spiderland since that's the earliest I know of Oldham, but I think he just did the cover photo of the guys in the lake. They are from the same area, and most of the Slint guys worked at one time or another on Will's early records as Palace. And he and David Pajo have made a couple very good records together, one under Pajo's "Papa M" moniker and one under Oldham's "Bonnie 'Prince' Billy" name. BTW, that Papa M record called "Whatever, Mortal" is really nice. Talked some about it before here, probably more than once, but one post is here.

But yeah, I like his darker side too, although he did do a fun and upbeat EP with Rian Murphy and a lot of the Chicago crew like Jim O'Rourke and Edith Frost and the rest called "All Most Heaven". The cover looks kind of like an Elton John parody ... http://www.fakejazz.com/reviews/oldhammurphy.shtml
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back