What Are You Listening To Right Now? [#4]
Feb 21, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #2,583 of 4,090
Team Sleep " Princeton Review"

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #2,588 of 4,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
"Trick Bird" - Califone

That's a pretty cool song, with that warped percussion loop and the junkyard clatter and all, kinda reminds me of Tom Waits, the way he can be both unnerving and calming at the same time. A little like that "soft bullet" concept the Flaming Lips used. Leaves you wondering where those sounds come from and how they thought to put them all in the same song
smily_headphones1.gif

Really is a nice album. I was kinda surprised that you took to it so well as your Califone intro. Probably the last one I would've recommended, but it does have a lot of their core sound once you get into it. Did you ever hear the story of Rutili's dream state and what the cover with the guy in stilts and a bird head represents? During the deteriorating stages of Rome’s siege against England, a battalion of Romans learned of a Druid God in whom the British lived in fear: the heron king. On the verge of defeat, the Romans put a soldier on stilts and outfitted him with a heron mask and sent him out to the British camp, causing such fear that the British soldiers fled in a panic. I guess Rutili was haunted to find how closely related his weird dreams were to that historical reality, so much that he used it for the core of Heron King Blues. He really is an odd guy, and I don't know whether to believe the stories or not, but probably be a bunch of fun to hang out with and have some beers and play some banjo
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #2,591 of 4,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
That's a pretty cool song, with that warped percussion loop and the junkyard clatter and all, kinda reminds me of Tom Waits, the way he can be both unnerving and calming at the same time. A little like that "soft bullet" concept the Flaming Lips used. Leaves you wondering where those sounds come from and how they thought to put them all in the same song
smily_headphones1.gif

Really is a nice album. I was kinda surprised that you took to it so well as your Califone intro. Probably the last one I would've recommended, but it does have a lot of their core sound once you get into it. Did you ever hear the story of Rutili's dream state and what the cover with the guy in stilts and a bird head represents? During the deteriorating stages of Rome’s siege against England, a battalion of Romans learned of a Druid God in whom the British lived in fear: the heron king. On the verge of defeat, the Romans put a soldier on stilts and outfitted him with a heron mask and sent him out to the British camp, causing such fear that the British soldiers fled in a panic. I guess Rutili was haunted to find how closely related his weird dreams were to that historical reality, so much that he used it for the core of Heron King Blues. He really is an odd guy, and I don't know whether to believe the stories or not, but probably be a bunch of fun to hang out with and have some beers and play some banjo
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, everything I have read about Rutili seems to indicate strange genius/deep thinker. Absolutely Love everything by Califone! "Heron King" was my first and I have not been disappointed with anything else. I anxiously await "Roomsound," the shipment of which was just confirmed moments ago!
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back