What Are You Listening To Right Now? [#4]
Jan 28, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #2,221 of 4,090
Amours, Qui Bien Ses Enchanter - Guatier De Coincy

Jan 28, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #2,223 of 4,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
Yes! Man, was that video cool or what. Didn't feature that woman on the car or something like that? Anyway...

The Man of METROPOLIS Steals Our Hearts - Sufjan Stevens

Fly to the Angels - Slaughter

Yea as you can see, I'm a hair band maniac
smily_headphones1.gif
I actually saw that video this morning on VH1 classic and have listened to it most of the day. And damn the chick that video is hot.

And I just got done watching Here I Go Again and she's in that one too :p

Jan 28, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #2,224 of 4,090
Pat Metheny - The Way Up

I've been listening to a lot of PMG, Chuck Mangione (Chris Vadala on sax is amazing), Herbie Hancock and Paul Hardcastle recently.

Jan 28, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #2,227 of 4,090
Quote:

It Dawned on Me - Calla

How do you like that Calla album? I only have Televise and like it quite a bit, but they ar eone of those bands that give me the impression that I only need one of their albums. Lots of nice Eno-esque soundscape action. Have you heard Kinski? Kind of a similar approach, but not as dark and mostly instrumental, but with some nods to both Sonic Youth and Eno. "Airs Above Your Station" is quite an album. But probably not really much like Calla, on second thought. Calla reminds me a little of a slowed down Girls Against Boys. Kind of dark and moody. But Calla is more ambient. Maybe a mix of GvsB and the Cure?
smily_headphones1.gif

Got the latest Silver Jews playing right now myself. Sometimes a pony gets depressed.

how does an animal see once the sun has set?
bandits in the capital. limited civilian unrest.
sometimes a pony gets depressed!

Jan 29, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #2,231 of 4,090
Quote:

Originally Posted by seanohue
Yea as you can see, I'm a hair band maniac
smily_headphones1.gif

That's awesome man! I've been diggin' your selections. I played Cocked and Loaded the other day thanks to one of your posts.

Don't worry, guys like us will be cool again if The Darkness
has their way. We're probably due for a revival in a couple of years or so.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
How do you like that Calla album?

It is okay. There are a few good tracks, but other than that it sounds a little tired. Guess it is good mope rock for scrubbing the tile in your bathroom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
ar eone of those bands that give me the impression that I only need one of their albums

Yes, I would feel no need to scramble to pick this one up. There isn't much new here. Maybe a little more Cure and a little less GvsB.

Hey Davey, I have been diggin' Metric lately. You have any recs for good PJ esque pop rock?

Grow Up and Blow Away - Metric

Jan 29, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #2,233 of 4,090
「国~聖なる響 (Piano Arranged Version)」 - 梁邦彦

Or rather...

"Kuni ~ Seinau Hibiki (Piano Arranged Version)" - Kunihiko Ryo

Jan 29, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #2,235 of 4,090
Quote:

Hey Davey, I have been diggin' Metric lately. You have any recs for good PJ esque pop rock?

PJ, as in Polly Jean? The Metric songs I've heard seem more like Blondie to me. Or maybe Elastica, with some of that Kinky Wire type sound. PJ is more of a bluesy rocker. But if you don't know her yet I'd highly recommend Carina Round and her last album, The Disconnection. Big favorite of mine and she does have a lot of PJ's strengths ... http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...582#post956582

Blonde Redhead is probably a little closer to that Metric sound, but they are pretty unique and trade vocals between the man and woman. Their last album was on 4AD so shares some of that label's past sound, but the couple albums before probably stand as a better definition of their sound. But I like em all ... http://members.mailaka.net/davey/rev...Is_A_Butterfly

Those Veruca Salt girls were fun, and Eleni Mandell, and the Breeders and that other band of Kim's called the Pixies, always liked Barbara Manning and she did a cool album in the mid 90s called Truth Walks In Sleepy Shadows that went kind of unnoticed under her S.F. Seals band name with 3 other girls, although it did seem to garner some nice acclaim at the time. And I always loved Patti Smith and Siouxie and some of those early girl rockers. One of the best of the 90s for me was Geek the Girl by Lisa Germano. Brilliant album. But that was 10 years ago or so. I don't have much right now. Except of course that Electrelane album from a couple years ago that I always mention, The Power Out, but I've probably already street teamed enough for those ladies
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, there was a big article in my newspaper a couple weeks ago about Chuck Close and it led off with big pictures of both his well known self portraits, including your avatar. Made me smile cause I almost caught myself saying, "Hey, I know that guy!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back