What Are You Listening To Right Now? [#3?]
Jan 15, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #121 of 2,764
Right now I have my Zen Xtra connected to my stereo, blasting the Beastie Boys' "Licensed to Ill" with the bass boost switch on.
basshead.gif

Jan 15, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #123 of 2,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
"Electr-O-Pura" - Yo La Tengo

Yeah, one of my big favorites of the last decade. I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One is the one that usually gets all the attention, but the preceding Electr-o-pura is the one that really won my heart and still stands out as one of the most inspired of the 90s. "Blue Line Swinger". That's really all you need to know. A blissful 9 minutes and 19 seconds of everything that is good about music in my world. Gradually building atop the atmospheric opening organ with layers of guitar distortion and clattering drums until finally all coming together at about four and a half minutes in when Georgia begins gently singing of love and doubt, and then about a minute later Ira's guitar takes over for a blistering few minutes of jamming until Georgia comes back in towards the end for another verse, her comforting voice juxtaposed against the squalling guitars in the background until the ba ba ba ba ba finale and perfect ending with everybody stopping on cue, reverberations slowly dying. Even after over 9 minutes it always seems to leave me just a little hungry for more, so I play it a few more times. Maybe all afternoon.The best closer in modern music. The definition of sublime. My nomination for song of the 90s
smily_headphones1.gif

But yeah, Heart Beating is still an amazing album and has possibly the best block of opening songs I've heard on a "modern" rock album. And it used to be my favorite, but then I started getting back into Electr-o-pura and rediscovered how amazing it is too. Quite a catalog they have, going back into the late 80s. Another one that I think shouldn't be missed if you like ths type of music is the Manitoba Up In Flames album from 2003 that some of us have talked about around here. That is, if you don't have it already. Great stuff! And of course, Grandaddy Sophtware Slump is another big favorite, but that's for another post
wink.gif

So what have I been listening to? Well, this morning it was....

g55823r9k0d.jpg

Another nice album from the Flaming Stars. Not too much different from their excellent Sunset & Void from a couple years ago that I've probably posted about around here, which means it is very good indeed, if maybe just a bit less rocking. But still sounds great with that Lou Reed "Walk On The Wild Side" kind of vocal delivery mixed with some Tindersticks and some alt-country leanings and even sounds a little like that great unknown band Animals That Swim, meaning a bit of the Smiths in the sound too.

Jan 15, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #124 of 2,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Yeah, one of my big favorites of the last decade. I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One is the one that usually gets all the attention, but the preceding Electr-o-pura is the one that really won my heart and still stands out as one of the most inspired of the 90s. "Blue Line Swinger". That's really all you need to know. A blissful 9 minutes and 19 seconds of everything that is good about music in my world. Gradually building atop the atmospheric opening organ with layers of guitar distortion and clattering drums until finally all coming together at about four and a half minutes in when Georgia begins gently singing of love and doubt, and then about a minute later Ira's guitar takes over for a blistering few minutes of jamming until Georgia comes back in towards the end for another verse, her comforting voice juxtaposed against the squalling guitars in the background until the ba ba ba ba ba finale and perfect ending with everybody stopping on cue, reverberations slowly dying. Even after over 9 minutes it always seems to leave me just a little hungry for more, so I play it a few more times. Maybe all afternoon.The best closer in modern music. The definition of sublime. My nomination for song of the 90s
smily_headphones1.gif

But yeah, Heart Beating is still an amazing album and has possibly the best block of opening songs I've heard on a "modern" rock album. And it used to be my favorite, but then I started getting back into Electr-o-pura and rediscovered how amazing it is too. Quite a catalog they have, going back into the late 80s. Another one that I think shouldn't be missed if you like ths type of music is the Manitoba Up In Flames album from 2003 that some of us have talked about around here. That is, if you don't have it already. Great stuff! And of course, Grandaddy Sophtware Slump is another big favorite, but that's for another post
wink.gif

So what have I been listening to? Well, this morning it was....

g55823r9k0d.jpg

Another nice album from the Flaming Stars. Not too much different from their excellent Sunset & Void from a couple years ago that I've probably posted about around here, which means it is very good indeed, if maybe just a bit less rocking. But still sounds great with that Lou Reed "Walk On The Wild Side" kind of vocal delivery mixed with some Tindersticks and some alt-country leanings and even sounds a little like that great unknown band Animals That Swim, meaning a bit of the Smiths in the sound too.

Davey,
Great timing, I was listening to "Blue Line Swinger" as I was reading your forwarded post. Your description above nails down the sound of the cut perfectly. I liked Electr-o-Pura from beginning to end. I bought it after reading a post that you made, on your recommendation so to speak, another excellent call. Thanks...I will definitely have to check out "Manitoba Up In Flames" and the "Flaming Stars."
icon10.gif

Jan 15, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #126 of 2,764
'blinded by the lights" - "a grand don't come for free" - The Streets

I just got both "Original Pirate Material" and "a grand don't come for free," and I am really liking Mike Skinner's style. I'm not a knowlegeable or frequent fan of "rap/hip-hop" music, [I don't even know if The Streets qualifies as such...] but The Streets doesn't seem as tiring and one dimensional to me as most rap/hip-hop music. The music, as well as, the stories that Skinner spins are well worth a critical listen...
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back