What are you doing to ensure the safety of your files?
Feb 26, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #46 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys suck.... made me feel guilty....

I have 5 computers on my network and four 250GB external HDs...

been backing up all night......

I hate backing up....

USG

Shouldn't really take that long. I've about 400GB's of data (only about 60GB music) and it only takes 10 -20mins max to USB disks. Guess it would depend how much has changed since the last back up.

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #47 of 76
I only have ~40 gigs worth of lossless music so I can just have everything on my 60 gig harddrive and back everything up using an external harddrive. Should be good for now...

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #48 of 76
I have 3x 320gb Maxtor pata drives in an old P4 on a decent 3ware card. Really important stuff is backed up to a 400gb sata drive. Offsite would be nice, but I don't have anywhere that I could setup a computer, and I can't imagine myself getting to the bank deposit box enough...

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #50 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shouldn't really take that long. I've about 400GB's of data (only about 60GB music) and it only takes 10 -20mins max to USB disks. Guess it would depend how much has changed since the last back up.

Hey Sparky#s

I don't make incremental backups anymore... a few years ago I went to retrieve one of my digital camera files from an incremental backup and found out a large segment of my photos were corrupt... now I make full backups, no software to corrupt anything, no encoding, no compression.... It's worth the extra time to have backups I can trust...

It's one thing to make a backup, and quite another to restore and have it function.......

USG

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #51 of 76
I run 4 x 147gb SCSI hardware RAID 5 dedicated to music. Occasionally I take backups to a USB drive.

Documents and important files are sitting on a mirrored RAID array which gets a full backup to another mirror, on another server, during the night.

None of my client machines hold anything vital locally, it all sits on the server.

If my house burns down I would not be worried about my music collection
orphsmile.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #52 of 76
I read through all this and saw the rsync but that looked like it was for mac and *nix systems, so can anyone recommend backup software which will upload my files/folders to an ftp server? Something idiot proof as I don't feel like playing with it.

gracias

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #53 of 76
rsync is available for Windows as well, either through Cygwin which might give you more unix like apps than you ever want or as a standalone app from WINrsync. I'm sure you'll find others if you search. I have gone the Cygwin route (but then I think Linux is far easier to use than Windows, so I should not be trusted
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #56 of 76
Hello all, I'm new here.

I just invested in the state of the art Pioneer BDR-101A Blu-Ray burner.. kinda backed up everything of value to a couple of disks and before archiving I've tested them, making sure the backup are free from errors. Media ain't cheap but price per gigabyte is reasonable.

Thanks to my company for the hardware
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #58 of 76
eh it sucks if you lose saved data but heck if your like me and have tons of saved data, then trying to prevent it from going away is the hardest part. so my theory is if you lose it just d/l/re-rip it back. hehe of course this is the most riskiest method but it is the least headache
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back