What are UM1 users using?
Feb 17, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by DCV
The long complys worked best for my ears, the short ones just didn't seal well for me. 3 pair for $9.75 here:

http://earphonesolutions.com/cocatiforum2.html

I talked to the people at earphone solutions and Flavio told me that there was no differance in isolation between the small and large cpmplys...
confused.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by afbug
Then you got a small biflange.
tongue.gif
Too small? You can use Ety's triflange too but they do not have a stem, so i use the snipped off top flange as a stem to mount it.

Edit:

Ety triflange. You can see the top flange under the largest flange.
DSC02169640x480.jpg

So you cut the smallest flange of the ETY off???

Feb 17, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #34 of 37
I just recevied my pair of UM1's. I'll post more on my impressions regarding sound, but from a fit persepctive, here's what I have found:

The Comply tips are nice and comfy if the fit your ears. I have an odd situation; one of my ear canals is larger than the other. It stems from a surgery I had years ago. The end result being that I can't get a good seal with the Comply tips in the right ear, but the left seals up just fine.

This really bums me out because I got these with comfort in mind, and I'm not sure that switching to a Shure or flange tip will solve the problem. I REALLY like the Compy tips from a comfort perspective, but I guess I'll have to experiment.

The only other issue is longetivity of the Comply's; at $10.00 for 3 pair, I'm not swapping out every week or so. The math on that is $120.00/year: not earth shattering, but more than the phones. Guess I'm just cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #35 of 37
i have the same problem getting a good seal with my right ear. my ear sizes also appear to differ in size from one another except that mine is natural and not from surgery. i ordered a pair of triflange tips and modded them into biflanges and have gotten better results with those. i've washed them once since i got them and so far they look like they will last a really long time compared to the comply tips. also from a comfort perspective the biflanges were definetely less comfortable at the beginning due to the plastic being tougher and my ears not being used to it. i didn't even think i'd ever get used to it but in the end they wound up being better than the comply's for me because of the better seal. with the weak seal on the comply's i was always concerned with them falling out which made them less comfortable to wear. so even though the biflange is a little harder on the ears because of the plastic i prefer them to the comply's because i don't have to worry about them falling out.

Feb 17, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #36 of 37
I use the complys and I never get the feeling they will come out... And thats taking off my hat (cold weather here) For me, once there in, there in.

Feb 17, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #37 of 37
In the which Comply tip gives more isolation debate. The deeper the fit, the better the isolation. Now, this cannot happen to all people. Me, for instance, I cannot wear the standard size. They stick out to much and I get a Frankenstein complex going. It also has to do with the shape of your ear. If you have a good round ear canal a standard size will give you better isolation. If you have a smaller canal, the short size. If you have a collapsed, oval, or other "odd shaped" canal; foam, silicon, rubber, tri, biflange, etc. cannot always get the right fit. That is when a custom mold comes into play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back