What are today's high-end IEMs and how do they stack up?
Oct 7, 2007 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sxr71

1000+ Head-Fier
Alright, before anyone says anything, I tried searching. It is next to impossible to find what you want with the vastness and popularity of these forums.

It seemed that a few months ago all the big IEM makers were working on major flagship non-custom IEMs. I think most were triple driver designs.

It seemed that Westone had one in the works as well as UE. As for Shure I know about the E500 or 530SE since they seem to be the only ones people think are worth talking about now.

Does that mean that the UE and Westone offerings were a disappointment? Was there ever a comparison between some of these high-end IEMs? Were some of them canceled?

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 16
well the westone 3 is not out yet, but its getting a lot of buzz. UE had the custom ue-11 pros, but other than that, their top universal iem is the triple-fi 10's.

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 16
Honestly, SE530 was kinda disappointing. It was well designed from an usability perspective, break-out cables & nice fit into the ear. From the sound perspective, it's not even close to the clean sound from Sensaphonics or UE's custom IEM's. Some mid-range details gets muddy and the high-end clarity is definitely not as good.

SE530 is more like a E5c w/ slightly deeper bass range. It even inherited the same "hissing" problem that E5c had... *sigh*. I'd really hope that they would've ironed that out by now :/

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 16
Westone 3
UE Triple-Fi 10
Shure SE530

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone 3
UE Triple-Fi 10
Shure SE530

x2 these are the top line iem's b4 customs and the triple fi and shure are evens on sound performance...both are suited to different music and both do a very different job, but equally as good...lets just say triple fi will kick ass with classical and jazz and so on and even does rock superb. the shures do hip hop,rnb,rap and reggae and not to mention a decent amount of rock and dance/trance. as mentioned both are great depending on music choice. both have advantages in sound over customs but ofcourse disadvantages aswell.

as for the westone 3...they are shaping up to be up there and better than alot of customs sound wise. they are not out yet and im a bit fed up of waiting like lots of others but they should be superb
3000smile.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #11 of 16
i gotta agreed with the ety er-4 series -- they are truly great iems and relative to many others, are a bargain.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 16
E500s with my IPhone

ER-4Ps with my new classic

I have several other IEMs but these are the two I use all the time

I have to agee with the other posters here, The ER-4's are dated, but still a bargain and still one of the best IEMs for the money. Its amazing they are still so highly thought of after all these years.

for Rock where I want punch and fun, the E500s are the best I have heard to date, without an amp and they work well with the IPhones direct output.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E500s with my IPhone

ER-4Ps with my new classic

I have several other IEMs but these are the two I use all the time

I have to agee with the other posters here, The ER-4's are dated, but still a bargain and still one of the best IEMs for the money. Its amazing they are still so highly thought of after all these years.

for Rock where I want punch and fun, the E500s are the best I have heard to date, without an amp and they work well with the IPhones direct output.

I also have had the E500s, they;re good but slightly uncomfortable. I am interested in new IEMS for my portable rig. I dont want to get a custom though, even though they may be better, I am probably not going to be the only person using these phones, so if they dont fit other people's ears, thats not going to work. I may just continue using my e500s, if I can find them, that is.

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
etymotic er4 series?

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.aspx

an aquired taste.
wink.gif

Oh I have them and I feel dirty for even thinking about anything else to go with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back