what are these skipping sounds?
Jul 15, 2005 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

J3mo

New Head-Fier
hey all,
i got a slight problem that's driving me nuts.

i'm currently using ipod mini, and am ripping cds to vbr mp3 format using
EAC and Lame.

I've followed this guide to the word:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...deneaclame.cfm

However, as the title suggets, whenever i hear my ripped tracks, there are these skips. The funny thing about these skips are that if i rewind the track to listen exactly where the skip is, i can't find it anymore. They just seem to pop up in general proximity of certain points in the track, but is not a "fixed" skip.

there are NO scratches on the cds whatsoever (some of the ripped cds were brand new).

Thanks for the help in advance.

Jul 15, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 10
Sounds like either software or your CD reader lens.
My media player glitches once in a while, but not too often that I can't stand it.

But again, my knowledge in portables and the files are limited. So maybe someone else can help you more.

Jul 16, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 10
I don't quite get it. Is it skipping in the MP3 file or the wav file?

Don't know about MP3 file? I have player that do that and player that don't with VBR. Usuallt if I reencode it goes away.

with wav file, I know defragging the drive helps. Normally I turned off all other applications that also seemed to help.

Good luck.

Jul 16, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 10
If you're getting skipping sounds in the mp3 player then something is probably bad with the original rip. You might want to have EAC go over how the tracks
are being ripped at a slower rate, and not rip for speed. It could be a problem
with the original track.

Try ripping for accuracy to WAV format, and listen carefully. If there are
problems there, then you've got a damaged source. If that's fine, then use
the wav files you've created, and reencode them over to mp3 (or whatever is
your preferred format.)

If you're still having problems, listen on your portable, and on your computer.
If the two both have the problem, it's your encoder. From there you can
determine that the files are something your mp3 player can't handle, or what
the issue might be.

Out of curiosity, are you ripping to an exteremely high bitrate? could it be
maxing out your players abilities. Yeah, that's probably not the case, but
it's the best conclusion I could draw with the given information, and suggestions.

good luck and
let us all know how it works out...

-Jeff

Jul 16, 2005 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 10
THank you for the comments.

in response,
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Sounds like either software or your CD reader lens.
My media player glitches once in a while, but not too often that I can't stand it.

hmm, i'm using a mini, so i hope it's not the hardware problem...

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw
Is it skipping in the MP3 file or the wav file? ...
Normally I turned off all other applications that also seemed to help.

<reply to gshan as well>
EAC program has the option to delete the wav file immediately after the conversion, which i enabled. so there is no way to discern if the file is getting corrupt in the ripping process, or the conversion process... i'll keep the wav file for my next rip.

and ya mebbe i should turn off all my apps too... it's not like i play a computer game as i'm ripping, but i usually have my winamp and msn going while i'm doing the rips, so hmm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS
Try ripping for accuracy to WAV format, and listen carefully.

I checked all of the options within the EAC program, and i changed some of the settings to more "accurate" mode. The ripping / converting processes were not put on fast mode or anything, but there were things like "Gap/Index retrieval method['s]" "Detection accuracy," which was set to "inaccurate" as opposed to "accurate" or "secure." I don't actually know what this means, but hopefully more accurate = good in any case
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffS
If you're still having problems, listen on your portable, and on your computer.
If the two both have the problem, it's your encoder. From there you can
determine that the files are something your mp3 player can't handle, or what
the issue might be.

Out of curiosity, are you ripping to an exteremely high bitrate? could it be
maxing out your players abilities. Yeah, that's probably not the case, but
it's the best conclusion I could draw with the given information, and suggestions.

hmm kinda interesting. i just had a listen to one of my faulty tracks on my ipod mini. again, the click (or bleep, or whatever) was audible in different areas within say, the 20 seconds span of where i'd initially heard the click. After identifying this "faulty span" on the ipod, i listened for that click in the same mp3 track on winamp. it's almost inaudible - even though the "faulty span" of the track only has a solo trumpet on it - but i THINK i hear a noise that sound like somebody tapping a pop can or something... very odd. i'd miss it if i wasn't closing my eyes and concentrating for a noise.

i'm not sure how the ipod amplifies this sorta noise into a click that makes the track sound like it's badly ripped, but on winamp, the same track doesn't sound as nearly flawed as it does on ipod. again, on winamp, it's BARELY noticeable.

I am only ripping them at 192 vbr. looking at the kbps indicator in winamp [if the bit rate and kbps are even related], the track seems to be fluctuating between 192 -225 most often. the fluctuation can vary from 160 to 320 something though.
ipods can handle apple lossless files so i don't think it's beyond the capability of the player.

again, thanks all for the replys
biggrin.gif

i love this forum

Jul 16, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 10
Actually, I noticed something like this on my iPod as well... I would be listening to a song, Id hear this wierd little sound and be like "what the hell was that?"

So I'd rewind a couple of seconds and play the song, listening carefully, and nothing is there. Its odd because at times I would wonder if its purely psychological.

Since Ive sold the iPod, Ive noticed the same problem only ONCE on my laptop (via inbuilt speakers) when playing music with WMP. Winamp has never done this.

This has never occured with my new MP3 player. Odd for sure.

If I had a guess, I would say that its something to do with the MP3 decoder/CPU-usage etc...

Jul 16, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 10
Dont do anything else while ripping, even web browsing. I think ripping is ram intensive so anything that interferes with memory will mess with the rip. I have had it happen to me.

Jul 17, 2005 at 8:43 AM Post #10 of 10
To sumguy:

ya it's kind of odd how it only clicks at certain points.

To kinchung:

THANK YOU for the link! at lesat i know that i don't have a defective unit now. Unfortunately though, I seem to be experiencing clicks more often than the other ppl in that forum.... I can almost EXPECT to hear a click on every one of my newly ripped tracks. I do remember noticing before that a sudden change in dynamics or sudden addition of instruments seemed to result in clicks.

but in any case, i will definitely follow that forum.

To bundee1:
point well taken. that could possibly explain why i seem to have it worse than they do in the other forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back