What are the USB to DAC cables called?
Dec 24, 2009 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

David.M

500+ Head-Fier
so i recently got my M3 amp , but i am still using the cheap stock usb cables from my Musiland Monitor DAC and it's causing some distortion & noise on mid to high volumes.

anyone know what cable i need to buy and any recommended one that's decent for $10-$30 ?

thanks

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 13
Dec 24, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get most of my interconnects at Monoprice. The prices are ridiculously low for the quality you get. You can also pick up some cheap Monster cables as well.
Amazon.com: Monster Game Ultimate Performance USB Cable with Powerflow Indicator: Electronics

sup fenix

well... i was gonna go with the monoprice, but DAMN, these guys sell all their stuff for 1 or 2 dollars. makes me wonder if their stuff is even quality built

i think ima try any good gold plated cable and see if that works. i guess humX is next on the agenda

the frustration of getting a new amp. gotta love it
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 13
Monoprice sells quality cable for soo much less than marked up retailers. Once you pick up a set, you'll see.

My HumX will be here right after Xmas. Then my tube amp.

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sup fenix

well... i was gonna go with the monoprice, but DAMN, these guys sell all their stuff for 1 or 2 dollars. makes me wonder if their stuff is even quality built

i think ima try any good gold plated cable and see if that works. i guess humX is next on the agenda

the frustration of getting a new amp. gotta love it
bigsmile_face.gif

Another Monoprice doubter who will be silenced soon enough.

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so i recently got my M3 amp , but i am still using the cheap stock usb cables from my Musiland Monitor DAC and it's causing some distortion & noise on mid to high volumes.

anyone know what cable i need to buy and any recommended one that's decent for $10-$30 ?

thanks

Can you be sure it is the problem caused by you cable? Do you have other songs, files, source, amp or headphone to try to trace the problem??

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 13
Monoprice rules. Just buy a usb cable and compare the quality to your regular $15-30 variety bought at a bigbox store. In fact, monoprice has a nice 24/28 usb cable that is better built than most stock USB cables.

I make all of my other cables mostly for fun and to see if it made a difference. Specialty shielding might make a difference if you have noise issues, but so far, I have spent hundreds on various materials and have yet to hear any significant difference. My only issue with Monoprice interconnects is that their premium line is way to stiff to use conveniently on my desktop.

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x5000 on monoprice! CNET did a comprehensive review on their cables and use them in their labs and most of the testers use them at home as well. Hard to beat!

+5001. every cable i own comes from monoprice. hdmi, wii component, computer, rca, etc.

Dec 24, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 13
Just be sure to get the cables that don't have ferrite beads.

Dec 24, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 13
Any cheap USB cable will work. Whatever you do, do NOT let anybody tell you a better USB cable will improve sound. It will NOT.

Dec 24, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #13 of 13
unless you're running a 65 foot usb cable,*then it does matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back