what are the traits that an audiophile should look for in a PSU?
Aug 9, 2005 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tachikoma

Headphoneus Supremus
Besides of silence (no-brainer :p) that is. Do list some recommendations too :p

*looking for other ways to improve pc sound besides of a soundcard/DAC*

Aug 9, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 8
Steady stream of poewr with no spikes or dips? Though surely that goes for ANYONE looking for a PSU.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 8
You mean a computer PSU?

There's the voltage stability and any noise, EMI or switching noise which may affect the audio. You'd need to either take some measurements and use it to see if it makes a difference. In that way, it's sort of like guessing.

You can try a beefier power cord on a computer and try various PCI slots out.

Aug 10, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 8
rofl, an audiophile grade power cord might even cost more than the pc itself >.> The way a PSU functions would be similar to power delivery models (I think thats what you call them... that thingy with power points and stuff), right? More power = better sound? (think using a 600W PSU for a setup that prolly uses only 100-150W =P)

Aug 10, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 8
Any computer PSU is essentially going to be crap. They are all switchers with crap filtering circuits.

The best you can do is get a brand name and hope for the best. (As noone advertises ripple stats of their PSUs)

Rob.

Aug 10, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy
Any computer PSU is essentially going to be crap. They are all switchers with crap filtering circuits.

The best you can do is get a brand name and hope for the best. (As noone advertises ripple stats of their PSUs)

Rob.

I wouldn't dismiss all PC PSUs as crap. Some of them are actually quite nice.

Aug 10, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Good votage regulation (+-1% is the best I've seen)
Low ripple
Active PFC
Higher weight (better heatsinks, and higher quality components that can hald more juice)
Adequate voltages to run all your gear
High efficiency
120MM fan if possible (for maximum quietness)

These really hold true for buying a PSU in general though. PC Power & Cooling is the best for the first two, Seasonic the best for the latter two, while doing pretty well on the first. I think they are the best two PSU brands on the market. Get the former for the most quality power period, the latter if you want high quality power with the best efficiency and low noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back