What are the top recommendations for gym phones up to $100-150 these days?
May 19, 2011 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Ymer

500+ Head-Fier
Was using Porta-pros and KSC-75s for years, then they all died and I also decided that open phones for the gym = express ticket to destroying one's hearing. Then I was using Creative Ep-630. Then started using IEMs that came with my Nokia 6600 clamshell phone that were UNBELIEVABLY good. Now the left channel's volume is a lot lower than the right channel's. C'est la vie. =(

I was thinking of Westone UM1's but since I have no idea, have been away from this for a long time, I decided to ask you guys.

$150 max, the cheaper the better. :)

Thanks

May 20, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 3
I can imagine the MEElectornics M6P would be nice for gym use. They have an over ear design and comes with multi flange tips so i reckon they should not fall out very easily during running.
You can find them here for $35 http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_M6P_Stylish_Earphones_p/earphone-m6p-mee.htm
I think theyre a steal at that price

May 20, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 3
iGrado's are the best solution i've found for using at the gym so far. I originally bought them for general listening, but they didn't get much use as they become quite unconfortable after about an hour (as they clamp quite tightly to your head). I couldn't use them for commuting either, as they do leak sound - and although not a huge amount, it would be enough to annoy people around me. I then discovered they were almost the perfect headphones for gym use: rarely would a gym session last much over an hour, and they stick to your head throughout the most rigourous excercise. They also produce a good clean sound for the asking price, and the sound leakage is totally irrelevant in a noisey gym environment (you'd have to have them very loud before others would hear them). Also, if you like to train outdoors, their open design will probably save you getting run over.

I am a big fan of IEM's, but I worry about the tiny drivers getting drenched in sweat (although i'm not sure how much of a problem this actually is, but I have taken my IEM's out after a few sessions and had to dry them off). After using IEM's at the gym a few times I decided against it. iGrado's go for about £30-35 too, so clearly a bargain. If you're still reading this far into my reply, you can clearly tell I am very satisfied with the iGrado for gym use! Give them a go, see how you get on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back