What are the smoothest sounding headphones?
Dec 29, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #16 of 50
i don't find the HD650 to be as smooth as it's usually claimed to be around here. in fact, they can be harsh on my setup with several recordings, but the harshness doesn't come from the upper range of the highs, rather, from the upper midrange/lower highs. it's actually surprising, considering how many people complain of the characteristic veiled sound (which i don't hear at all).

in the end, i really think it's dependent upon your upstream components and recordings.

Dec 29, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #17 of 50
Another vote for the HD650, especially when powered by a tube amp. I love their sound so much
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #18 of 50
You find 580s to be harsh? Wow. I have a hard time imagining. But the 600 won't help. They are 580s in new clothes. You really don't have anywhere to go but to the 650s or a headphone with a pretty seriously rolled-off high end. Or perhaps some eq. You know, something you can turn off when faced with a good recording?

Tim

Dec 29, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You find 580s to be harsh? Wow. I have a hard time imagining. But the 600 won't help. They are 580s in new clothes. You really don't have anywhere to go but to the 650s or a headphone with a pretty seriously rolled-off high end. Or perhaps some eq. You know, something you can turn off when faced with a good recording?

Tim

I also found the treble of the HD580 a bit unpleasant and too sibilant
redface.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
have the HD 580 as well, personally find K701's smoother/better up top, and D2000's smoother/better down below, with the 580 sitting squarely between the two

I would go and audition the K701, HD 600, HD 650, and D2000 (any and all), see what you think, I'm "voting" for the K701 though
k701smile.gif

x2 for auditioning, but I would stay away from the k701 at all costs. It is a great phone, but the highs and mids are definitely emphasized, if only because of its relatively light bass. If the 580s are not for your ears, the 701 will be 10x worse.

Dec 29, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #21 of 50
Just thinking of the AKG K601, also a contender for a smooth sounding headphone. Though not as smooth as the Kenwood I mentioned before.

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #23 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the harshness doesn't come from the upper range of the highs, rather, from the upper midrange/lower highs.
in the end, i really think it's dependent upon your upstream components and recordings.

It's interesting that you say this. The harshness of the 580's is perhaps the lower highs. Therefore I'm wondering if the 650 harshness you mention is a remnant of the 580 design. Maybe the others recommending the 650 could weigh in on this.

The Kenwood looks like a very good phone from what I can glean from the internet. It's a distinct possibility. The AKG might be a bit bright for me. Read some complaints about the headband pressing on the head.

I'm in a small Iowa town so there's no possibility to audition any of them. I trust the experience and views of the dedicated Head-fiers and will base my final decision on your suggestions. I did hear the Bose at BestBuy and found it recessed in the highs (perhaps too much) and very comfortable.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just thinking of the AKG K601, also a contender for a smooth sounding headphone. Though not as smooth as the Kenwood I mentioned before.

the k601 has more low treble energy than an HD650 and is generally a bit more forward.

Dec 30, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #25 of 50
The harshness you are experiencing may be a source/amplification problem rather than the headphones them self. What are you using?

Dec 30, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the k601 has more low treble energy than an HD650 and is generally a bit more forward.

Okay, K601 are off. What about the K271 ?

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4u /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Kenwood looks like a very good phone from what I can glean from the internet. It's a distinct possibility.

I can definitely recommend the Kenwood.

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The harshness you are experiencing may be a source/amplification problem rather than the headphones them self. What are you using?

I have a Musical Fidelity x-can v2 which I think is fairly smooth. But then again it might not be because I've never listened to any other headphone amp. My other headphones range from a Sennheiser HD280 to a PX100. Quite frankly I'm not completely satisfied with them either feeling they're of lower quality than the 580. An amp recommendation would be welcomed as an update is probably warranted.

Dec 30, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mail4u /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Musical Fidelity x-can v2 which I think is fairly smooth. But then again it might not be because I've never listened to any other headphone amp. My other headphones range from a Sennheiser HD280 to a PX100. Quite frankly I'm not completely satisfied with them either feeling they're of lower quality than the 580. An amp recommendation would be welcomed as an update is probably warranted.

What's your source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back