What are the smallest hd players with large capacity? Besides Gmini Xs 202
Nov 4, 2006 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Aryolkary

100+ Head-Fier
What are the smallest hd players with large capacity? Besides Gmini Xs 202. Also, is the Gmini Xs 202 that much smaller than Rio Karma? According to specs and pics it isn't that much, but it seems more comfortable to put in the pocket.

The idea is, something small enough like a Rio Carbon, or Zen Micro, but as large as 20gb or more, to have a lot of space. Now, how does it compare for example, 320kpbs on a Gmini Xs 202 vs 192 or 256kpbs on a Zen Micro or the like (6gb and less)? What I mean is, to achieve the same level, in a worse sounding dap one has to use higher bitrate, then it would be like disposing half the capacity.

So, what would be "better"? 20gb of 320kpbs (decent sounding dap) vs 10gb of 160-192kpbs (better sounding).

I should also add, that the idea is as portable as possible, no amp involved (this was only until I saw the incredible spectacular size of the SuperMicroIV !!
basshead.gif
).
Naturally, to use with IEM's. I think that if I wanted truly good sounding portable, I'd get: vintage pcdcp + amp (maybe) + IEM's and full size closed (maybe) + bag with many cds, etc.

So, Pocket portable vs Bag portable naturally means compromising soundquality for portability (just imagine having to carry a big bag in order to use your cell phone to the fullest, lol).

Nov 5, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mazinger
Sony hd-3/5..... really small and great , only 20 or 30 GB (for HD-H5) though

Hey, thanks. Very good recomendation. The thing is, having to convert from Ape to Wav, and then to Atrac, and then having to tag the files, no good. I'd rather have a dap that can read mp3, folders, (don't need tag, artists, albums display as much as being able to read folders and playlists). So far the Gmini XS 202 seems the smallest and most convenient, but I've read it usually has issues with the hard drive.
I could get the Nw-hd1 for a reasonable price, how different is it from the hd5? (been reading and searching a lot these days and still not sure about their differences sonically). The problem with the hd1 is the lack of native mp3 support, can't send it to service center from here (Argentina).

Any other thoughts (players in the like of Gmini 202)
Thanks

Nov 6, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary
H...the Gmini XS 202 seems the smallest and most convenient, but I've read it usually has issues with the hard drive....

What issues?

Nov 6, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #6 of 9
The majority of comments are positive on that link. All HD players are prone to HD failures. Its not unique to the Gmini. If thats your main worry don't get a HD player.

Nov 6, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
The majority of comments are positive on that link. All HD players are prone to HD failures. Its not unique to the Gmini. If thats your main worry don't get a HD player.

You're right. However sometimes one is more prone than others. Flash is supposed to last more years in comparison right?

Nov 6, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary
You're right. However sometimes one is more prone than others. Flash is supposed to last more years in comparison right?

In theory. You can leave either on a bus just as easily.

Nov 6, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
In theory. You can leave either on a bus just as easily.

Hehehe, that's in case it drops off your pocket, otherwise why would you lose it?
I think I'm gonna start another thread asking what are the cheapest flash and hd players that have clock feature (both time and alarm). So far the U2 and G3 look extremely appealing, but I'm afraid the final price for good be too high (around 130-140usd which to me is 3 times in pesos, meaning it's like if you had to pay 3 times everything that is imported in another currency)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back