what are the negatives/ cons of the Sony Mdr 1a.
May 22, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #17 of 30
  thanks for that how do they compare to the sony mdr 1a? i can get them for around 240$

I never personally heard the NADs, but, from the reviews and impressions out there, the sound of the NADs is more natural and transparent, in contrast to the sound of the highly-sculpted lower-end and airy-treble sound of the MDR1A.

May 23, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #22 of 30
I have the mdr-1a right now and I really enjoy them.  I have posted also on this forum looking for some help as well.  I feel that the analytical "audiophile" sounding headphones get all the love.  I personally enjoy a warmer more engaging type that has good bass response.  I think that the Sony's are it, but I am willing to go the extra mile to find my headphone nirvanna, without breaking the bank.  

From what I have read, so far, the Denon  AH D600 might be the closest in sound signature and supposedly sound like older reference B&W speakers with perhaps tighter bass response.

May 24, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #23 of 30
Here's a review with comparisons:

http://youtu.be/xWlHA56HcS4

More or less a good review; the bass can indeed slip out of control on some tracks but the sculpted sound is still unique and highly enjoyable. The above review falters a bit in its comparison of the Sony to the Bose as a headphone at home, though astute as a headphone for on-the-go.

May 24, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #24 of 30
Here's a review with comparisons:

http://youtu.be/xWlHA56HcS4

More or less a good review; the bass can indeed slip out of control on some tracks but the sculpted sound is still unique and highly enjoyable. The above review falters a bit in its comparison of the Sony to the Bose as a headphone at home, though astute as a headphone for on-the-go.

thank you for that that review came out today!

Thats weird that review felt like an overall negative review. Thats the first negative review that i saw about the sony mdr 1a.

May 25, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #25 of 30
  thank you for that that review came out today!

Thats weird that review felt like an overall negative review. Thats the first negative review that i saw about the sony mdr 1a.

"Lachlan likes a thing" is a very subjective artifact (like most audio reviews); I say go with what makes you happy.

The review was only negative in respect to bass perception, and that comes down to what kind of music the reviewer likes. This one does talk about the texture of the high frequencies as very good. In general, the MDR1A sound signature is great for an all-rounder headphone, especially for various types of content consumption on mobile devices and computers. It's a multi-whammy for games, movies and music, etc..

For example, my MDR1A is perma-connected to my Xbox 360 (through an optically-connected DAC and Amp chain, of course), while I have an MDR1ADAC to use with older iDevices, to bypass their aged, sub-par internal DAC components.

Jun 4, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #30 of 30
I know this is an old thread, but what did you think about your MDR-1A? The only negative aspects in my opinion are the ear furnaces they occasionally create & they feel somewhat fragile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back