what are the negatives/ cons of the Sony Mdr 1a.
May 17, 2015 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

titanlord1

New Head-Fier
it seems all i hear about this headphones are good things. the only downside is the price. but i can get them for in the Mid 200$ range. So for that price are they worth it? Thanks.

May 17, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 30
It's not an analytic, ultra revealing headphone.
It's smooth and cohesive, with good soundstage, but not crystal clear, detailed and ultimately precise.

I've enjoyed my MDR-1R when I had it.

May 17, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #6 of 30
  preference as in size? I prefer over the ear.

I mean, you might prefer a more neutral sound, or something with boosted bass and treble (v-shaped response).
Or just boosted bass and softened treble.

It's also important to know where are you plugging the headphones normally.

Do you need isolation?

Music?
Gaming?
Both?

If you'll be listening to music, what sort of music?

Give us some more information about your preferences and we'll try to help you to make the right pick.

May 18, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #7 of 30
thank you for your reply. i need a bit of isolation. useually for music. and also for listening to school recordings. im mostly using this with my lenovo y580 computer. and an iphone. thanks.

May 18, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 30
  thank you for your reply. i need a bit of isolation. useually for music. and also for listening to school recordings. im mostly using this with my lenovo y580 computer. and an iphone. thanks.

The MDR-1A should work very well.
You might also consider the Soundmagic HP150.
Both are very good headphones, the Soundmagics have more lively treble, while the Sonys are probably softer sounding.

Both are good in terms of build quality but these are not the sturdiest headphones in the world, so a little care is needed if you want them to last for years.

May 18, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #9 of 30
thank you. can you tell me the difference between isolation and noise cancelling? is noise canceling just canceling out noise with a frequency. and isolation is how well others can hear sound from your headphones? so if they have high isolation then others wont be able to hear the sound? i dont care much for noise cancelling but how do the sony mdr 1a compare in isolation?

May 18, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 30
  thank you. can you tell me the difference between isolation and noise cancelling? is noise canceling just canceling out noise with a frequency. and isolation is how well others can hear sound from your headphones? so if they have high isolation then others wont be able to hear the sound? i dont care much for noise cancelling but how do the sony mdr 1a compare in isolation?

Some headphones have active noise cancelling systems. I don't recommend them since these headphones are usually more expensive and worse in terms of sound quality.

Both MDR-1A and Soundmagic HP150 have passive isolation, they don't leak sound at normal levels, and just a little when loud.

They don't isolate very well the low frequencies coming from outside, but both are pretty good with the rest of the spectrum.

If isolation is your main priority, IEMs are your best bet. Something like the Yamaha EPH-100 should work like a charm.

May 20, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #12 of 30
MDR 1A is one of the best (if not the best) "one-to-rule-them-all" headphones for all-around content consumption on mobile devices and general computers (music/ movies/ games, etc.). The newer the device, the better the sound and less of a need for amp/dac-age.

May 20, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #13 of 30
  MDR 1A is one of the best (if not the best) "one-to-rule-them-all" headphones for all-around content consumption on mobile devices and general computers (music/ movies/ games, etc.). The newer the device, the better the sound and less of a need for amp/dac-age.

thats good to here. Thanks for that. How much would you spend on the mdr 1a

May 21, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #15 of 30
Although I don't have any experience with the MDR-1A's, I noticed that you specified Canadian dollars - in that case a good value for Canadians is the NAD VISO HP50 - $300CAD - its a closed-back headphone with good isolation and great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back